The Mitchell Reel Museum is shutting down.

Started by jtwill98, November 09, 2023, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwill98

Wallace Carney is shutting down the MRM site.

You can read the message here:
https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=569&sid=7ba760b4b1fbfe1b35ed0f66f0de7924

A sad day for those Mitchell reel aficionados.

sandbar

Do you think the Ohana community can somehow keep it going?

jtwill98

Quote from: sandbar on November 09, 2023, 11:10:45 PMDo you think the Ohana community can somehow keep it going?

I think one would need permission from Wallace Carney.  He mentioned doing something on Facebook.  That eliminates me following the discussions.

sandbar

Quote from: jtwill98 on November 09, 2023, 11:48:38 PM
Quote from: sandbar on November 09, 2023, 11:10:45 PMDo you think the Ohana community can somehow keep it going?

I think one would need permission from Wallace Carney.  He mentioned doing something on Facebook.  That eliminates me following the discussions.
Do you want me to delete my post?

jtwill98

sandbar

Reeltyme

Well, this one hurts. It was a great source for information. I for one, will be saddened.

Midway Tommy

It's really a bad deal, a lot of great research and information will end up going by the wayside, but this was inevitable eventually. He's been struggling keeping the site up and running for at least the last three or four years.  :(  It's been offline at least three or four different times.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jtwill98

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 10, 2023, 06:26:03 AMthis was inevitable

This is the response I see from several sites for various reasons.  The best advice I can give, is capture the information for yourselves and re-share the information in your own words for future generations.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

I liked using the photo dating comparisons because they provided great references but that feature has been missing for quite some time now.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jtwill98 on November 10, 2023, 04:04:42 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 10, 2023, 06:26:03 AMthis was inevitable

This is the response I see from several sites for various reasons.  The best advice I can give, is capture the information for yourselves and re-share the information in your own words for future generations.

There always seems to be the question of accuracy unless one is the original researcher, and even then later research notes a lot of mistakes.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Does anyone know if Wallace is a member on this site?

happyhooker

I really enjoyed that MRM site some years ago, even though there always seemed to be something that was "being worked on", or was going to show up "later".  There were some issues starting a few years back; something about a competing site; info being pirated by someone or other; malware being swapped--I really didn't understand it, other than the site was never the same after that.  It was on and off the 'net quite a few times.  People were starting to get personal about who was doing what to whom; even me, just a plain old user who liked Mitchell reels, got snide remarks about who knew what about all the troubles going on.  Hankered for the old days when it was just some reelheads liking to swap info & talk about reels.  Looks like the whole works will end up in the trash can--pity.

Frank

jtwill98

Mainly out of curiosity, I did some checking with the ArchiveIt site services who offer to archive a site for future sharing. Here was their response.   

'We offer a one-time "Web Snapshot Service" that may be of interest for you. I've attached a product sheet here with more details . This is a fully managed, one-time crawl of your website, with forever storage and access to the archived data using the Internet Archive's self-owned and operated data centers.

Pricing depends on the size, content, and complexity of the site being archived, ranging from $1,000-$2,000 USD for basic requests. Please let me know if you're interested in a more formal price estimate. Please note that we generally require a minimum of 30 days before a site goes offline to conduct crawling and quality assurance.'

This is a lot for a single person to absorb, but for an organization interested in preserving historical content, perhaps not-so-much.

Also, if the content of the MRM site contained all the reel dating images from pre-crash of 2016, it might have been worth the effort.  The current (post-crash) site just isn't worth preserving.