Roller guides acid spiral wrap

Started by MexicanGulf, November 11, 2023, 02:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: MexicanGulf on November 14, 2023, 05:08:53 PMhowever, the benefit of roller guides is to dissipate heat during the violent release of line when a large fish is hooked. Both nylon and braid heat up a lot. Even high-quality SIC ring guides are not immune to this overheating

I would like to see some evidence to back this up. 

Fishing rod guide manufacturers often publish claims about guide materials and friction, both heat and wear, but this is contradicted by the actual physical properties of the materials involved.

Let's just take one claim for an example -

QuoteSIC ring guides are not immune to this overheating

SIC was one of the new generation of ceramics developed in the 1960s for ultra high heat applications- stuff like the ceramic tiles for re-entry shields on spacecraft.  The melting point of SIC is over 4000F, with continuous operation temperatures exceeding 1000F, varying a bit on the formula. You are not going to heat damage a SIC  ring by rubbing a couple hundred yards of fishing line on it.

Furthermore, the melting point of UHMWPE (the plastic that modern braid is made from) is only 275F degrees.  Nylon is even less.  The SIC ring would  immediately melt the line on contact at a tiny fraction of its safe operating temperature, making it impossible to heat damage the ring.

Also, try this experiment:  take a ceramic ring fishing guide and a meter section of braided line.  Rub the line over the the guide back and forth, as hard  fast as you can, maybe 100 times time. This is more friction than will be experienced  when fishing.  Check the heat on the ring with an IR thermometer.

30 lb IGFA class in that video -  means that they are fishing with around 10 lbs drag, which means a load of a couple lbs or less per guide.    Here is my  preferred guide for 10 lbs of drag.  I get them for around $USD 2 each:

But I'm with also Jason.  If you like the idea of using some fancy Italian engineering upside down on your fishing rod, that is a more than a good enough reason.

I am not immune myself.  My favorite motorcycle was a beautiful piece of Italian engineering (Ducati).  It was a joy to ride.  When it was running.  Nearly all of the Japanese bikes of that era were better for the job in terms of cost, performance, and reliability, but I didn't like riding any of them as much.

-J