Cleaning Reels

Started by bluesnart, November 12, 2023, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesnart

Hello
I'd like some information on the methods used for cleaning internal reel parts....gears shafts ext....I'd like to used non toxic methods...is Dawn and water a good choice...are there other choices...
Juan

Midway Tommy

Dawn is a good last choice after you've used a decent degreaser. The best non-toxic degreaser/cleaner I can think of would be some sort of hand cleaner like GOOP. If it's safe for your hands it should fit your non-toxic parameters. It should be safe for painted and plastic surfaces as long as it doesn't contain pumice. You'll have to do a little scrubbing with a toothbrush, though, to get parts really clean. Use Dawn & warm water after that.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bluesnart

Thanks for the input Tommy...I found the Goop without pumice on Amazon...it's good for several other things...so yeah I'll give it a shot
Juan

aok

alantani

i usually just scrub with a greasy toothbrush, wipe off the excess, then go in again with a cleaner toothbrush and leave an even coat of grease.  no soap. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

the rockfish ninja

I use a rag, and the only thing I put on any reel parts is grease or oil.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

bluesnart

bluesnart

Alan thanks...can you tell me the name of the Yamaha grease you recommend
Juan

Jonathan S

Penn reel cleaner works great if you want a degreaser.  not cheap but if you are not doing very many reels it lasts a long while. 

alantani

it's just yamaha marine.  pretty standard stuff.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluesnart

Hello Jonathan S
I currently use Cal's and Penn reel grease on my reels...both are great products...may add the Penn degreaser as well
Juan

bluesnart

Alan thanks...think I'm gonna try the Yamaha grease and the method you mentioned...let you know how it works out...although a cleaning degreaser may be necessary at times
Juan

1badf350

I use Simple Green Crystal degreaser. Its worked well for me. One gallon lasts quite a long time. You can also get it in a spray bottle.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Midway Tommy

I used simple green once 20 years ago to try to clean our utility room floor. It peeled the paint right off the floor. :o  Only used it once since and that was to clean calf after-birth stains off the bare concrete basement floor. Previous owner brought a newborn calf into the basement during a snowstorm, then he carpeted over the stain. Saw it when we recarpeted. The neighbors told us what had happened. Simple green got completely rid of that stain but I haven't used it since. It's too strong for my taste.  ::) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bluesnart

Hello 1badf350
I had a 71 F150 wish I still had it...
I used to fish Anaheim Bay where there was a simple green plant right in PCH
This is a good product I've used it before and it fits into the non solvent non toxic category...in fact I may have a bottle around someplace...
Thanks for the info
Juan