JOBLOT OF REELS

Started by kevin cozens, November 13, 2023, 09:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin cozens

A couple days ago I picked up a joblot of nearly 40 reels in various states of repair ranging from needing a general service to a major overhaul.
So far the most common problem seems to be dodgy bearings, either seized solid or sounding rough as heck.
A few of the reels will most likely be stripped for parts.
There are some nice reels in the joblot including 3 Mitchell 600 series reels, A Shimano Charter Cpecial 2000 lever drag. Two nice Daiwa SL175's. A few Abu Cardinal spinning reels and even four Intrepid sea streaks AKA: Sea Screetch / scream.
Another problem with some of the reels is finding schematics for them. Even some of the modern reels are very hard to find.
I paid just £300 for them all. if i can sell 20 of them for £30 each then i have doubled my money. parts need to be taken into consideration though. luckily enough a bearing is only a couple of quid on ebay

Gfish

"Dodgy" means crappy? And "Joblot" means A bunch?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

boon

Looks to be a Shimano TLD15 or similar clone in the mix as well.

Sadly I suspect several of the spinners will be a one way trip to the landfill due to unavailable critical parts.

kevin cozens

Quote from: boon on November 13, 2023, 10:17:10 PMLooks to be a Shimano TLD15 or similar clone in the mix as well.

Sadly I suspect several of the spinners will be a one way trip to the landfill due to unavailable critical parts.
there is an okuma lever drag but the decals are all rubbed off. the trouble i have found with the spinners are bad bearings. at least you dont need a genuine part as most reel bearings are available aftermarket and you also normally have the option to fit a better quality bearing. if parts are not available i can strip it for spares. the bearings may fit other reels

ExcessiveAngler

What's the revolver in the first picture, all the way in the bottom right hand corner?
It kind a looks Abu-ish!
Looks like a decent score!

kevin cozens

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on November 14, 2023, 02:55:44 AMWhat's the revolver in the first picture, all the way in the bottom right hand corner?
It kind a looks Abu-ish!
Looks like a decent score!

its a shakespeare. works great but level wind is missing

ExcessiveAngler

If you get a chance, I'd like to see a couple close up pictures of it, if you don't mind?

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on November 13, 2023, 09:58:29 PM"Dodgy" means crappy? And "Joblot" means A bunch?...

I had to search it on the dictionary :
* A joblot is a number of cheap things of low quality which are sold together, for example in auctions or second-hand shops.

* If you say that something is dodgy, you mean that it seems rather risky, dangerous, or unreliable.
The Baja Guy

philaroman

I love energetic optimism...  vicariously, of course -- I no longer indulge, myself  :D

Quote from: kevin cozens on November 13, 2023, 09:13:07 PMI paid just £300 for them all. if i can sell 20 of them for £30 each then i have doubled my money
some day, you'll look at that and lAAAAAAAAugh  >:D >:D >:D

more likely, you'll spend another £100+ (plus, MUCH elbow grease)
to get back your £400+ investment...
of course, the knowledge & experience gained, will be invaluable 

ExcessiveAngler

Actually, there's some interesting looking revolving reels in there!
I would like to see some more close-up pictures of the revolvers!