Whats a cool substitute for Fishing Rod Butt Caps? Stuff you find at Home Depot

Started by pointbob, November 13, 2023, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

So I want to try something a little different with the butt cap on my worn down eva foam butt cap. And I'm curious as to what alternatives people have tried or thought of to use. I've heard of furniture table caps....anything else interesting...maybe not black lol

Patience comes to those who wait

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

cane tips -- more durable, but heavier...  may tweak balance
look for something notch above rock-bottom Wally/Dollarstore option
foot tips for furniture (metal shelving, etc.) may be found w/ smaller ID than canes

sciaenops

I keep an old tennis ball w/a small chunk cut out of it in my pocket. When I hook something substantial, I just slap it over the butt end cap & it saves my fragile gut. Especially on rods w/a skinnier butt.

Mjg378

Not sure if it'll work.  I might have to see myself.   A baseball bat knob. Used them to help the kids with their grip.  And they come in tons of different colors now. 
Mike

ExcessiveAngler

I use the old tried and true, rubber furniture leg caps, they work great!
Also, used walker tips, crutch tips, automotive car hose lol!
If you know anybody in the electric industry?
They have different colored, vinyl rubber caps on the ends of big wires that I found and used lol!

Cor

I make "functional" rods not pretty rods and have always used Rubber leg tips.  You get them in many sizes and shapes and thy don't look too bad at all if you do a decent job and are very durable.

Spares drawer & some rod buts.
Cornelis

kevin cozens

i have seen a rod with a large bore empty gun shell. it looked great. you can also use empty shotgun shells

Cor

Quote from: kevin cozens on November 15, 2023, 11:30:52 AMi have seen a rod with a large bore empty gun shell. it looked great. you can also use empty shotgun shells
Am sure it would look great.

I use my rods as support like a walking stick when walking down mountains, don't think brass would work very well, will probably slip and fall :o  :o
Cornelis