Help with Penn spares to UK

Started by UKChris1, November 14, 2023, 04:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

I was working on a Penn International II 80STW that has a few parts stuck with crud. Most came free with a drop of lubricating oil but during the wrestling match with the gear change mechanism thing, I managed to drop a bloomer.

Well, actually, I dropped the greasy part in the garage and when I retrieved it the little spring and one of the two tiny studs had gone elsewhere. No matter how hard I looked I cannot find the wee beasties and without them the reel won't work. I thought my garage was tidy-ish :-[

Mystic Parts has the items, which come to about $10 in total, but they are no longer shipping outside the USA. Maureen was very helpful, but it is what it is.

Does anyone know another Penn part supplier I could try, please?
The chap in the UK I have used in the past (Mike Simmons) seems to have retired and the only other source (Jim's) doesn't seem to have either part listed.

The parts I need are:
one off: gear stud spring 18A part number 18-349
two off (in case I drop another one!): gear stud pins part number 142 (142-050)

Each item is only a few dollars but without them, the reel sits forlorn.

Help!

Shellbelly

Quote from: UKChris1 on November 14, 2023, 04:29:33 PM18-349
This spring is also used in the 113 4/0 Senator.  Curiously, the 113H uses the 18-60 springs, which are present in 30+ models.  You may be able to find a donor reel or parts lot for the springs.  85's, for example, are very common and use 18-60 springs.

I couldn't find a substitute for the pins, sorry.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Robert Janssen

This is an easy problem to solve. I'm sure one of our kind, helpful members in the US would allow for delivery of the to their house and simply mail the package on to you. Easy.
I would do it myself, but I don't live in the US either.

JasonGotaProblem

These? Can't imagine how you could have lost them. If you're not sorted out by Dec 1 I got you covered. I probably have the other as well.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

There's another newer member, from the UK on this forum. His name is Kevin Cozens, seems to be servicing a lot of reels!
Maybe you can message him and see if he knows of any Penn parts suppliers or parts!
I think Mike's reel repair service is in Canada and ships worldwide, maybe you could try them as well?

alantani

chris, i've got everything.  send me a pm with your mailing address and i'll send it out tomorrow. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris1

I am so thankful for all the kind offers of help and advice!

Shellbelly - good thought to check other reel specs for the same spring - thank you.
Robert, very kind offer, thank you.
Jason, yes those are the little tricksters. Can't imagine why I can't spot them!
Excessive, thanks for the contact. I tried Mike's in Canada but the bits I need don't seem to be listed.

Alan, the Boss, what can I say. Many thanks indeed. I'll drop you a PM and lots of gratitude.

Chris

alantani

since it's less than .25 inches thick, i can send it first class post in a plain letter envelope. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris1

Thanks again - PM sent and I hope it arrives ok as I'm no great shakes with IT!

Keta

Problem solved.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

UKChris1

Indeed. Alan has kindly posted the bits to me  ;D  Many thanks!

Mind you, I know they're in here somewhere...

UKChris1

Hi Allen,
Those little bits have just arrived - perfect - and so I send many thanks indeed for your helpfulness, kind sir  :al

The reel will now go back together as intended (and I won't be doing that in the garage!)

Thank you all.

kevin cozens

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on November 15, 2023, 04:02:54 AMThere's another newer member, from the UK on this forum. His name is Kevin Cozens, seems to be servicing a lot of reels!
Maybe you can message him and see if he knows of any Penn parts suppliers or parts!
I think Mike's reel repair service is in Canada and ships worldwide, maybe you could try them as well?
Hi.
If you need penn parts in the uk contact qm quality service. he is the main guy for penn parts in the UK.
http://www.fishingreelrepairs.co.uk/

UKChris1

Sorry to be slow in replying but thank you Kevin for that contact information. Is QM Quentin Millman? Just looked and answered my own question! I met his father many years ago in Plymouth and before that in Falmouth. Nice guy.

I've 'bookmarked' that site, for next time I drop something! (Though I've learned to dismantle stuff in a plastic bag  ;D )

Just to round things off, I've finally had time to complete the service on the 80STW and it is all back together and working just as it should. It is one solid reel and in really good condition apart from some cosmetic salt marks on the spool. Thank everyone for your help.

Chris