Fall Stripers

Started by CooldadE, November 15, 2023, 03:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I got some reels serviced and took them out for some Fall run Stripers. My buddy Bob Bass put us on some. All fish had empty bellies and gobbled up the Shad we had for bait...

Reels worked great ( I love those round Abu reels )

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Hardy Boy

Nice work. Are those from the Bay area ?

Todd
Todd

CooldadE

Yes, I live in Antioch on the lower San Joaquin river near the Sacramento River and the Suisun Bay . Specifically we were fishing in Broad Slough that joins the San Joaquin to the Sacramento...

Cool

thorhammer

CooldadE

Thanks ... it's raining some now. Historically fishing here is not that good in the rain... or I would be fishing right now.

Cool

steelfish

nice, looks like it was a fun with the light rod
The Baja Guy

CooldadE

I love that custom rod and run 12# mono on the reel. I also  have a slightly heavier matching rod also. I don't recognize the blank designation ( E 162 T -10/17 ) anyone have info  ?

Cool

Rancanfish

Can't help with the rod, but were you guys anchored up for stripers?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

CooldadE

Yes Ran we were anchored up. Last of the incoming. The bite shutoff when the current ebbed...

Cool

Rancanfish

I was lucky enough to fish with Sal DiMercurio for stripers. Fished together almost a year before he got sick.

Trolled the delta every trip. Never once did he not put us on fish. He once actually told me 'be ready' and pointed out a mark on the fishfinder. A few seconds later and I was in a fight with a 30lb'er. We let big mama go and went back to trolling for more.

Seeing your report made me think about that again so thanks.

CooldadE

30 pounders are few and far between these days. I've landed two in my day. One in 6 ft of water and the other in much deeper water. Totally different fights... Shallow fish (live mudsucker) made long runs and went for the tules and came to the skiff twice before net time. The deep water fish (while trolling) kept its distance making wide loops around my skiff. I brought her in and netted her with a lot of spunk left... those fish were long ago and I haven't had a fish since over 15 lbs...

Cool

Rancanfish

Yes you are right, 'twas a bit ago. Sal's been gone a long while.

CooldadE

Bob Bass and  I went out again for a few hrs on Wednesday. We fished the " Runway" ( pictured) Picked up limits again of bright Stripers. At the end of the day we saw some fish working some baitfish near the shore. The fish we caught were a tad smaller than those pictured but still feisty and tasty ... this time I caught them with  an uglystik I've had for prob 30 plus years and an Abu 4600C modified with a line out clicker. Beautiful day on the Delta, with more to come ...

Cool

Alan Matsuno

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 20, 2023, 12:52:11 AMI was lucky enough to fish with Sal DiMercurio for stripers. Fished together almost a year before he got sick.

Trolled the delta every trip. Never once did he not put us on fish. He once actually told me 'be ready' and pointed out a mark on the fishfinder. A few seconds later and I was in a fight with a 30lb'er. We let big mama go and went back to trolling for more.

Seeing your report made me think about that again so thanks.

I remember Sal: olives, mustard greens, stripers, his stories of fishing Alaska.

CooldadE

By the way... I switched up my rig. Sinker slide, Plastic bead to a small small locking snap swivel. My leader is 20lb Big Game. What I changed was the hook. I historically use octopus hooks but decided to try some circle hooks. They worked great with only one smaller fish swallowing the hook. From now on it's Circle hooks for me...

Cool