Penn Formula Reel frame strength.

Started by Opportunity, November 15, 2023, 07:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opportunity

I have a Penn Formula 15 LD reel.

I've heard through others that the reel seat cross member could break under a heavy load
same as the TLD's have.
Inherent weakness due to poor engineering of plastic (FRP Graphite) parts I'd guess.

Newer Penn Squall 50 uses diagonal cross members off of the reel seat bottom cross member
to strengthen and stiffen it.

My questions are: Are the Formulas breaking ?
Are the new Squall 50's holding up ?
Yoshi

alantani

never had one break, but anything short of a full aluminum chassis is a concern.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

I used to see few Penn Formula lever drag reels in the shop. I do recall seeing a couple with cracked frames that had been used with 80# braid for halibut, but my small sample wouldn't be enough to generalize from.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Penn

Use the reel as it was designed and you will be fine.  The 15LD was designed to be fished 30lb mono and around 15lbs of drag at strike.  Put 80lb braid on and max the drag out and you are asking for trouble. 

tony

Keta

Quote from: Penn on November 15, 2023, 09:07:08 PMUse the reel as it was designed and you will be fine.  The 15LD was designed to be fished 30lb mono and around 15lbs of drag at strike.  Put 80lb braid on and max the drag out and you are asking for trouble. 

tony

Yup, the one I saw break was being fished way over it's design and it did not play well with a cow YFT.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

As I recall, it should do better than the equivalent TLD. The Formulas came out after the TLDs and had a strengthened lower frame where the side plates join the seat. Both my TLD 20 and 30 2-speeds have aluminum frames to prevent any frame breakage.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Opportunity

Yoshi