Okuma Andros 12iia

Started by JohnFinatic41820, November 16, 2023, 07:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnFinatic41820

Hi all This is the first-time asking questions. I have been reading post for some time but haven't found an answer to my problem happening with my 2-speed reel. I purchased two Andros 12 reels, and one works perfectly, but the other has problems. I only go on an 8-day trip on the Excel in Oct each year. My problem is the reel doesn't free spool to cast and when in free spool the spool still turns when cranking the handle. I haven't taken it apart yet but if I do I would like to do upgrades along with fixing it. Any suggestions for upgrades, drags, bearings, little secrets? Thanks in advance for suggestions, John Finatic 

Bryan Young

I would first inspect the belleville tension washers for configuration, flatness, cracked, rust,...

Second would be the spacing between the spool bearings. The shaft is provided with c clips acting as a means to maintain proper spacing between the spool bearings to provide optimal freespool. The free play should be about as much as a piece of paper when pressure is place on both inner bearing races of the spool bearings.

Third is properly installed drag system. I believe this reel has a floating drag washer and if it's not properly floating, will cause the drag to engage a lot sooner than anticipated.

Before you begin disassembling the reel, what is the drag tension of the reel just out of freespool, strike and full?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

I had a similar issue with a Penn Fathom 25NlD2, it ended up being a missing spring between the drag washer and drag plate.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JohnFinatic41820

The reel hasn't been taken apart and doesn't have very many hours of fishing on it. As far as the drag settings that Bryan mentioned IN full and strike settings the reel performs as it should no problems. But in free spool I can pull the line hard and fast and still no bird's nest. On retrieve in free spool, it pulls the line in with a little resistance.

Keta

Because it is a new reel I would send it back to Okuma for warrantee repair.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JohnFinatic41820

True it's nearly new being on only 3 8day trips but it was purchased before covid pandemic, so it is beyond the warranty. I wish it would be that easy!

jurelometer

[Moderator:  Does this thread belong in the Okuma board?]

Don't know this reel, but allow me to play detective for a moment:

Checking the schematic:

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Okuma/Andros/Okuma%20Andros%20A-12IIa.pdf

Since the drag is working normally except for free spool, and the reel was working fine for awhile and the reel has never been taken apart, I think we can rule out some of the possibilities mentioned in this thread.

Since a lever drag is always in gear, it will turn the spool until the drag surfaces are separated ("freespool") or slip (drag). For this reel's set of symptoms, loss of freespool should be either

(1) the lever/cam assembly is the not moving the spool shaft enough to make room to relieve the drag tension,

or 

(2) something is binding/weak/broken that is preventing the compression springs from pushing the the drag surfaces fully apart once the drag compression is is relieved.

If the amount of drag in freespool is pretty significant, it is more likely to be (1).  If you you have just a very light drag in freespool, and it does not change when you completely loosen the preset knob, it is more likely to be (2).

The easiest first step is to check for (1) being the problem.  Swap all the external cam/lever  components (drag lever,cast control cap assembly, etc) between the reels.  If the problem switches from one reel to the other, you just need to find out which part is the culprit. 

Otherwise the issue is probably (2), especially if both reels feel pretty much the same when swinging the lever into freespool.

In a "normal" lever drag, there is a single coil spring on the shaft that will keep the drag surfaces completely apart while in freespool.  The spring could be worn/weak (unlikely), or something can be gummed up or binding a bit to prevent the separation. It looks like the double drag in the IIa has a somewhat more complex mechanism (which raises suspicion), but the idea is the same.

One test for (2) would be slide the spool back and forth on the shaft a bit vigorously while in freespool, and see if it releases,and/or if it feels a bit sticky compared to the good reel.  The "normal" compression spring looks like key 242 in the schematic, but there is also that secondary part of the assembly  with compression springs (key 241). This would be a good area to check out.

Once the right sideplate is removed, maybe try sliding the shaft back and forth and see if you can find what is binding and preventing the drag surfaces from fully separating? My SWAG would be contamination or corrosion in the spring area.

And let us know what you find out!

-J

JohnFinatic41820

Thanks for the in-depth analysis of my problem. I was waiting for all of the opinions of the experts on this site, before tearing down the reel. I knew it has to happen anyway, but I wanted something to look for while disassembly happens. I didn't think of disassembly of both reels to determine what went wrong on one reel and not on the other. Now I have my work to do, I won't be going out soon so I have the time to repair and hopefully have the reel performing the way it should.