Advice on a travel rod case

Started by reelynew, November 17, 2023, 06:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on what to use for making my own pack rod case.  I picked-up a small vintage 3 piece pack rod this summer at a garage sale and am wanting to put it to use next season and combine it with some hiking.  I have seen some really nice vintage aluminum rod holders online, but most in the length (21") I am looking for are being sold with a rod.  I have used PVC and ABS for rod holders, but that's always been in the car or garage and am looking for something with thinner walls to take up less space and would weigh less. 

Has anyone repurposed any common aluminum tubes that are 2"-2.5" ID?  If so, what was its original use, which may help me find the material? 

Thank you everyone.  I appreciate any advice or thoughts on this.

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Keta

Look as schedual 20 PVC pipe, it is close to 1/2 the weight of Sch 40.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alan Matsuno

I did a lot of backpacking with a 4 pc backpacking rod. I never fell while wearing a pack, do you fall often?

reelynew

Quote from: Alan Matsuno on November 17, 2023, 07:31:04 PMI did a lot of backpacking with a 4 pc backpacking rod. I never fell while wearing a pack, do you fall often?
Thanks - no I don't fall often, but I want to pack the rod inside a backpack and keep the weight and size to its minimum.  I'm looking to add fishing while mostly hiking.  Most of the fishing I have been doing, while in beautiful mountainous areas is close to my car. 

Alan Matsuno

reelynew

Quote from: Alan Matsuno on November 17, 2023, 07:57:16 PMDo you have the rod ?
Yes, it's a nice 3 piece vintage rod.  It can fit within a 2" diameter and its longest segment is 20" long.

philaroman

skip tube for such short rod -- it's dead weight...  no secondary purpose
12" X 16" box has 20" diagonal & stores rod + other stuff inside pack

reelynew

Quote from: Keta on November 17, 2023, 07:13:33 PMLook as schedual 20 PVC pipe, it is close to 1/2 the weight of Sch 40.
Thank you Lee - I will look into that.  I was hoping to stay with metal to keep with the vintage theme, but that is a great idea.  Much appreciated, Matt

foakes

Hi Matt —-

I like the clear Powertec tubes that John posted, providing there would be caps that fit well available or adaptable without looking hokie.

I use expandable black plastic blueprint & artwork tubes used by architects & artists.  Cost about $8 each.

If you want a vintage aluminum Wright-McGill tube with an intact screw on lid and intact keeper chain —- I have one that is 24"long —- it is about 2" or 3".

I have a lot of pack rods.  And keep them in tubes with protective socks inside.

Most pack rods are never damaged when hiking or fishing —- improper or hap-hazard storage is generally the culprit.

If interested, I can post a photo.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelynew

Thank you John and Fred for your suggestions.

John - Fortunately, I have a Woodcraft store in town and will be able to find some of the plastic dust tubing and the fittings.  This is a great tip, thank you.

Fred - Thank you for the tip on the Architect's plan case.  I'm interested in the empty 24" tube and will send you an email. 

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts on this,

Matt

kevin cozens

50MM domestic waste pipe will be great. get a couple of blank ends. glue one in place and leave the other free so you can remove it.
you can also get aluminium or copper tube which will look great polished up