Shimano ocea jigger 4000

Started by Swami805, November 21, 2023, 05:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I picked up an older shimano 4000 ocea , one of the gold ones. Feels a little stiff when reeling so I'm thinking it needs a service. It looks like a Trinidad 40N without a clicker but with a spool lock. Is it pretty much the same in inside as the 40N?  I'm thinking I'll order new drag washers and bearings for it so I'll have them when I get it apart. Hopefully everything is the same so I don't have to try and track down JDM stuff
Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Depending on what gear you have in that reel, the drag washer may be slightly smaller than the TN40 drag washers. Is the gears are worn, you can use the TN40 main and pinion gear as long as you also replace the yoke as this was another difference between the JDM and USA version. Everything else is pretty much the same. Once you pop it own, please measure the drag washer size and I can compare it to the TN40 carbontex drag set for confirmation before ordering drag washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Thanks Bryan, hopefully get it it over the long weekend

steelfish

you getting nice toys lately Sheridan, that OJ should be a blast to use with a heavy SPJ rod
The Baja Guy

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on November 21, 2023, 05:14:43 AMIt looks like a Trinidad 40N without a clicker but with a spool lock.

What is this "spool lock" function all about?

boon

Quote from: nelz on November 21, 2023, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on November 21, 2023, 05:14:43 AMIt looks like a Trinidad 40N without a clicker but with a spool lock.

What is this "spool lock" function all about?

The name is slightly misleading. It doesn't strictly lock the spool; it introduces a secondary anti-reverse on the left side of the spool that prevents it letting line out. Kinda useful for breaking your jig off if you get it really stuck, but other than that I've never really been able to think of a purpose for it.

nelz

So it's not like a locked-down drag thing, you can't even turn the handle I guess?

redsetta

As Boon's described, it's a mechanical AR/lock operated from the clicker side, ie:

(Pic courtesy of Wolli's post on 2000NRHG Maintenance - ignore the red arrow...)
Once actuated, the spool will only turn in one direction (ie retrieve).
It's effectively a gear saver when you're trying to intentionally break off a trapped jig...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

redsetta

A couple more pics of the mechanism, if of interest:

nelz

Ok, so if I'm seeing this correctly, it does prevent line from going out, as in a locked-down drag (except it's by-passing the drag completely), but you can still reel in.

redsetta

Brewcrafter

Great description and photos.  So kinda of like a "last chance I ain't losing more line" defense.  Beats the heck out of taking a couple wraps of braid around the rail when your bottom anchored.... - john

MarkT

I just take a few wraps around my arm and pull... no stress on the reel that way.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Thanks for that, mines the older model but should be similar
My favorite reel so far of the ones I've tried is a Trinidad 16n. I'm thinking this one for deeper water with a little higher IPT might be nice. Don't need much drag since I'll be using 20lb braid with a short piece of 17lb leader.
The spool lock should come in handy, with assist hooks instead of a treble hook I don't get hung one much which is a plus

Bryan Young

I have also used it to prevent fish from going back into the rocks, like lingcod and Yellowtail. I put it on after I lower the jig down and once hooked up, just hold the fish from going back down into the rocks to cut off. After a crank or two, I turn it off then fight the fish as normal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D