D.A.M. Quick Impressed

Started by Reeltyme, November 24, 2023, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

I'm not a big D.A.M. collector (I have 3 ) but I appreciate the quality of a fine instrument. I recently purchased this Quick for a very fair price and was immediately impressed with how smooth it was,, before cleaning. I had some time to tear it down and clean it up. As I usually do on any of my shelf queens, she received a light oiling only to be put back together and sit on the shelf to be looked at. My point to this is that this reel works as smooth with nothing but oil as most of the new multi bearing reels produced today. It is amazing! The quality and workmanship put into this reel is totally impressive. Although I find this reel to be on the "ugly" side externally, internally it is a work of art. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Gfish

Truly a tank of a reel. I have one. The only differences I can see between yours and mine are the handle knob and drag knob shapes. Mine makes alota noise, maybe it got some serious use...? What is the serial # on the base?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The D.A.M. Engineers who were from generations of anglers, watchmakers, clockmakers, and expert machinists —- only knew how to make fishing reels two ways —- top quality materials of bronze, aircraft grade aluminum, German silver, steel, and brass —- with defect tolerances set a "0"...

Or not at all.

Only one non-metal part in this S.W. 68 —- the crank knob.

Just check out the frame reinforcing, sideplate fitment, and materials.

Yeah, it may be ugly —- but its beauty is not in looks —— it is in quality and function.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reeltyme

Attached a picture of the serial number. Hope it helps with your dating "G".
And Fred, definitely no insult intended to the engineering of this reel. The tolerances observed in this reel are amazing. The construction on how everything has a screw holding it on to its adjacent part and fits amazingly perfect even after all these years of use. If you notice, the side plate is held on by 1 tiny screw quite securely. This is due to the precise fit of the side plate to the housing. Even without the screw, the plate doesn't want to come off to easily. Craftsmanship for sure.

Gfish

Agree with that assessment. I love the unique way the bail arms are attached. 70 yrs. Old and still strong springs in there.
Mine is a latter version: #028888.
Its external looks are kinda ugly, with the big main gear low in the gear box, but, perhaps because of the looks, you can find them pretty easily for an early '50's reel.  And, I really think it's worth it to dissemble a reel like this and see what great engineering is really like.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

They are definitely a well made reel, although a little awkward in the hand, but not an out of the ordinary design for the times. But heck, people were just happy they didn't have to use "lashers".  ;) Too bad they hadn't devised the worm gear system by then. If they had those reels would really be amazing.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Not ugly, but "retro".  Or, like an old vintage wine.

Frank

foakes

Also, Randy —-

A really top notch clean up on that DQ Standard!

As for worm-drives —- they came next.

There were (6) more series of reels that came out after this one —- starting about 1953 —- and continuing through the latest 80's.  All with the top quality, efficient, and tough as nails double-supported steel worm drives and phosphor cut bronze mains, plus an oversized main bearing.

These included the Finessa 280/285, Super 270, and the tiny Microlite 265.

Then the 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, & 550.

Next was the "N" models —- 110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, & the 550N.

Then the first Champion models —- 1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, & 5000.

Then the '01 series —- 1001, 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, & 5001.

Last series in the top quality DAM Quick reels was the '02 series —- 1202, 2002, & 3002.

An impressive company will always have the next series of products in the R&D department —- it is progress, invention, along with proven quality.

After about 1990 —- DAM Quick went through many changes while trying to find a reliable partner —- since their reels were of such high quality —- it was becoming hard to compete with the shinier and prettier reels coming out of Japan such as Daiwa, Ryobi.  The fact was —- the materials and quality of the DQ's cost about double to manufacture compared to the stamped out Asian versions.  There were other lines and series of reels that came out after 1990 —- but while they were as good or better than the Daiwas —- they were seriously inferior to the various earlier series of DQ reels.

Some of the top quality tackle companies have copied DQ —- only to find their reels too expensive to keep producing after a few decades —- and also changing consumer interests —- as well as marketing strategies.

These companies were Penn, ABU, Shakespeare, and a few others.

Hard to beat a reel at will last over a lifetime of steady fishing and routine servicing —- then handed off to the kids.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Then a nice late 50's DAM Quick might be the 280 Finessa with the worm drive and of course, the more fancy gear-box. Looking at some others, the next generation 250 standards post 1953, had "Standard" on that tight fitting single screw side-plate right below the "Quick", the spools had numbers and the drag knob had a red arrow on one of the flanges. "Auctung! You vill set zee drag pressure at zee proper number for perfect results!" Godda love those ridged exacting Huns when it comes to doing things right.

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on November 24, 2023, 10:36:48 PMThen a nice late 50's DAM Quick might be the 280 Finessa with the worm drive and of course, the more fancy gear-box. Looking at some others, the next generation 250 standards post 1953, had "Standard" on that tight fitting single screw side-plate right below the "Quick", the spools had numbers and the drag knob had a red arrow on one of the flanges. "Auctung! You vill set zee drag pressure at zee proper number for perfect results!" Godda love those ridged exacting Huns when it comes to doing things right.

Yes, the S.W. 68 was the earliest version after WWII (there was an earliest version a couple of years prior to the war.)

But of course, production shifted from recreation items to the war effort.  And and factory was destroyed by bombings during the war.

After the war, the Allies split up Berlin into sectors.  Russia got East Germany —- and West Germany and Berlin were divided into sectors.  Any production of products after the war were required to be certified as to both where they were produced, as well as inspected as to what was produced.  (Germany was not able to produce any types of weaponization).

So to make things simple, and eliminate red tape —- DQ just labeled their reels with the model number using the authorized sector.  S.W. 68 was area 68 in the Southwest quadrant.

A few years later —- they renamed the SW68 the 250 Standard.  After restrictions eased up.

The first Finessa was a 280 around 1954 —- there were (4) variations until the end of the 50's.  The 285 was the latest version —- and is very similar to the 330 in the Finessa Series.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.