BEARING MODS

Started by kevin cozens, November 25, 2023, 02:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin cozens

I am wondering if there would be an advantage in fitting a fully sealed bearing in place of the steel sheilded version or open bearings. At least contaminants cant get into the bearing
As a trained car mechanic only a fully sealed bearing will do unless its inside the gearbox. Wheel bearings need to be fully sealed. As for a reel the only place they wont work is on spool bearings of a baitcaster as it will slow the reel down big time but they should be fine on the spool of a large boat rod

MarkT

I prefer unshielded spool bearings. Non-spool bearings greased and sealed.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jurelometer

Not a fan myself.

Bearing "seals" are more likely to keep a little water trapped inside than to keep all the water on the outside. And it is  tougher to flush out with a rinse or soak. 

Regular metal shields  are a better compromise IMHO. The removable shields with the ring clip are nice.

-J

Cor

Rubber sealed bearings create slight resistance.  I used them on my handle/drive shaft where it did not effect freespool and believed it kept water out.   I even used mild steel ones with success, but not on a small boat where they get in to direct contact with sea water.
Cornelis

alantani

i've been removing one shield of the spool bearings, keeping the outside shielded and the inside open.  non-spool bearings stay shielded and are packed with grease. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!