Okuma Alijos 12

Started by MexicanGulf, November 25, 2023, 02:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

Hi Guys, I would like to buy a set of two reels for a livebaiting kingfish application. the drag range I usually use is around 12/15 pounds as maximum fighting drag. My choice inevitably falls on the Okuma brand, needless to say that I am enthusiastic about my MK 50 tuna fish. I thought about buying two Alijos 12. I checked the various technical characteristics on the Okuma Usa website. I noticed some huge discrepancies in the claimed drag curve between the dual- and single-speed models. Could someone explain to me what these differences are due to? in reality, for the type of fishing technique I practice, double speed would be superfluous. Could you tell me the situation? Thank you!!!

jzman

From okuma website https://okumafishingusa.com/products/alijos-2-speed-lever-drag-reels :

QuoteThe SSE Version are the Alijos Sailfish/Kingfish Reels.  They are a single speed, high speed reel that feature 6.4:1 gear ratio and are meant to fish a consistent light drag.  With a 5.7lb at strike and 10lb max drag, they are designed for that specific fishery.

MexicanGulf

10lbs in full drag is too little, it would have been nice if they went to 15. I'm sad.

MexicanGulf

I have a fairly technical question, I hope someone can answer me. Is there a Drag Tournament Cam (TDC) as for the makaira models that is suitable for the Alijos model? If it doesn't exist, do you know if the Makaira TDC CAMs are compatible with Alijos 16 and 12? Thanks to anyone who can help me!!!

alantani

call okuma on this one.  the alijos 12 two speed that i have here will be set up for 60 pound fluoro and 20 pounds of drag at strike.  it is not set up yet, but i was not aware of any limitations. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

QuoteThe SSE Version are the Alijos Sailfish/Kingfish Reels.  They are a single speed, high speed reel that feature 6.4:1 gear ratio and are meant to fish a consistent light drag.  With a 5.7lb at strike and 10lb max drag, they are designed for that specific fishery.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MexicanGulf

Quote from: alantani on March 17, 2024, 03:22:52 PMcall okuma on this one.  the alijos 12 two speed that i have here will be set up for 60 pound fluoro and 20 pounds of drag at strike.  it is not set up yet, but i was not aware of any limitations. 

Alan unfortunately I live in Europe and here okuma is distributed by an importer who has no knowledge of this kind of technical training. I thought makaira's Drag Cams could fit (TDC) Some good Samaritans could forward my question to Okuma USA?   

boon

Just buy MAK10's, I assume you can get a TDC for them.

MexicanGulf

Quote from: boon on March 17, 2024, 11:18:01 PMJust buy MAK10's, I assume you can get a TDC for them.

I have already ordered two Makaira 10 SEA. However, the mk10s are very slow and use little line per turn of the reel.

MexicanGulf

I would also like to use the Alijos for trolling on 30 lbs line class to target the shortbill spearfish, a small rostral that generally does not exceed 30 kg in weight.

thorhammer