TRIAX Atlas 600 as an alternative to Grease Yamaha

Started by MexicanGulf, November 26, 2023, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

Unfortunately, Yamaha grease is not always available in all countries around the world, from what I have read it is exclusive to Yamaha USA.
So for several months I have been looking for a valid alternative that faithfully respects the technical characteristics of the Yamaha blue grease. I've spent the last two months researching a replacement, I've read dozens of grease lube spec sheets. I spent hours of my life on a search that proved to last beyond my expectations.  Finally I found something that at least in "Theory" on the technical data sheet corresponds to the same characteristics of the product marketed by Yamaha. TRIAX Atlas 600 has the same and identical characteristics, do you know it? Do you think I can use it as an alternative to Yamaha?

《TRIAX ATLAS 600 Synthetic Grease is a one of a kind ultra high performance synthetic grease designed for virtually all multi-purpose and heavy duty applications in both regular and severe service. This product is built from the ground up with high viscosity base oils and top tier additive content for exceptional all around performance and stability. It contains a full range of corrosion inhibitors, EP additives, adhesion improvers and oxidation inhibitors. It is designed to stay in place, prevent metal to metal contact in virtually all applications. High mechanical stability and load carrying capacity allows its u se in severe service heavy duty applications such as mining, agriculture and construction. High temperature rating ensures performance in high temperature disc brake wheel bearings and high ambient temperatures.
PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS
Excellent mechanical stability under high loads and torque, will not separate and will maintain its protective film
Exceptional adhesion in all kinds of applications, stays in place in both very high and very low operational temperatures
Extremely wide operational temperature range -40 F to 400 F in continuous operation, makes it ideal for year-round usability
Outstanding EP ( Extreme Pressure ) performance, ideal for heavy duty, high load applications including heavily loaded wheel bearings
Over 550 F high temperature dropping point provides outstanding high temp stability
Virtually waterproof less than 1.5% washout in direct contact with water, ideally suited for high humidity and even direct water contact
Nearly zero separation
Excellent oxidation stability and long term durability
Lasts 5 to 10 times longer than normal lithium greases
Classified as GC-LB - chassis and wheel bearing applications》.

MexicanGulf

This is it, I hope someone can tell me something.  ;)

alantani

i wouldn't worry too much about the exact brand.  the only grease i won't use is that light blue, horribly sticky, trailer axle bearing grease.  avet uses it and it's stringy and sticky.  otherwise, use anything and don't stress over it too much.  you'll be fine.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MexicanGulf

As a layman I wonder why the Japanese spend huge amounts of money on specific fats when any would be fine?

alantani

i'm certain that there are high tech applications for these products.  it's just that a fishing reel is the lowest, slowest, tech application that i could ever think of.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MexicanGulf

Shimano for example has a series of specific greases. I think there are 7 in total.

jurelometer

Quote from: alantani on November 26, 2023, 10:01:26 PMi wouldn't worry too much about the exact brand.  the only grease i won't use is that light blue, horribly sticky, trailer axle bearing grease.  avet uses it and it's stringy and sticky.  otherwise, use anything and don't stress over it too much.  you'll be fine.   ;D

Agree with Alan.  I prefer to see a SDS as well.

I haven't seen a technical data sheet for the blue Yamalube marine grease.  Nor have a seen a saftey data sheet, except for this one from Australia:

https://ymacdn01.azureedge.net/sds/ACC-GREAS-10-CT_sds.pdf

If the OP could post the technical specs that you found (and the source) for the Yamalube, it would be appreciated!

Regarding the Triax product: NLGI grade 2, so it is the right thickness for most uses.  Recently reformulated to a synthetic, calcium sulfonate formula - so it is the modern stuff, and reasonably compatible with many other greases.  Triax has not updated the SDS yet, so we do not have information on health risks and proper handling.  So I wouldn't use the stuff.  At least consider using gloves to minimize skin contact.

Lots of long threads on lubricants here, so I am not going to rehash other than to echo Alan's point that fishing reels are not relatively demanding pieces of machinery when it comes to grease.  Mostly we just need a grease of the right thickness that preferably does not oxidize and separate too quickly while the reel is sitting around waiting to be used.

Quote from: MexicanGulf on November 26, 2023, 10:59:51 PMShimano for example has a series of specific greases. I think there are 7 in total.

Sometimes for cold weather usage or for low resistance surfaces on spinning reels, a grease that is thinner than NLGI 2 is preferred. Usually NLGI 1.   Then greases used on drags need a high temperature dropping point, and usually have a PFFE additive.  Drag suitable grease is typically fine for whole reel use, but can be more expensive, so some folk use it only on drags.  Many of us do fine with just one grease.

There are reasons for having a "full" line of reel lubricants other than mechanical necessity.  And if any company is "full" of it, it is Shimano. :D

-J

JasonGotaProblem

I think shimano has 7 types of grease because it makes it seem like shimano put a lot of time and thought into the perfectly perfect lube for each application. When in reality they know any of them would work for any application. It's great marketing though.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

Like Alan said, just about any grease will do.  I use a custom mix of Valvoline Marine grease (which happens to be red) cut with automatic transmission fluid.  This was Sal's recipe.  If it's good enough for him, i5s good enough for me.  More or less atf depending how thick I need it for a specific application.   I also use Cals Drag grease for all carbon fiber drags.  For oil I use ReelX or Penn oil. 

Something to consider, reel mechanics like Alan see hundreds of reels every year, sometimes only once in the reels lifetime so getting it right is important.  My salt water reels are serviced every year so corrosion doesn't have time to start. And we'll rinsed after every trip.

From your previous post you have a 2 month trip coming up. I would have a spray bottle of fresh water to rinse my reels at the end of everyday. And if you are very concerned with corrosion break your rigs down once a week for a good fresh water rinse in the restroom sink. This will slow down salt build up and reduce the likelihood of corrosion setting in.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!