Grease on drive gear vs pinion

Started by Propster, November 27, 2023, 05:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propster

Hi guys, I use mostly Yamalube on the drive gears. Is there a way to get the grease to stay on that gear better? Seems the minute you turn the drive shaft a few turns most of it transfers to the pinion and collects around the pinion and yoke and yoke springs. Any thoughts? Thanks

Keta

Put less on but in several places on the main gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Yeah, just needs a thin film. A stiff artist's brush works for me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

day0ne

Quote from: Gfish on November 27, 2023, 07:46:51 PMYeah, just needs a thin film. A stiff artist's brush works for me.

I use a flux brush that I cut the bristles shorter.

https://www.amazon.com/flux-brush/s?k=flux+brush
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

JasonGotaProblem

That which transfers and collects is excess grease that didn't need to be there. All you need is a thin film.

Also telling that to myself from a few years ago.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

happyhooker

A newby would be surprised how little grease is really needed to relube a spinning reel.

Frank

Bryan Young

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 27, 2023, 10:01:41 PMThat which transfers and collects is excess grease that didn't need to be there. All you need is a thin film.

Also telling that to myself from a few years ago.

I push the excess grease between the main and pinion gears a few times to make sure all is coated and the empty spaces are filled. The I use my brush to remove the excess, which can cup water in undesirable locations.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jgp12000

Them acid brushes are cheaper at harbor freight if you have one local.I use super lube it's clear so it looks cleaner and
doesn't thicken in colder weather like the Yamaha.