new shimano Talica for fall 2023

Started by steelfish, November 28, 2023, 02:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I know shimano is not a beloved brand over here, specially for obsoleting models every other year  ::)  ::)  and its lack of parts for previous models, even like that they have a great fan army all over the work, I personally have few shimano reels on my arsenal that I really like for its intended purpose, that said, take a look a the next video of the new talica reel, seems that shimano is following the steps of the new Penn international VIXS reels drag setup and the Avet raptor reels.

The Baja Guy

alantani

ah, they finally went to a double drag system.  i guess better late than never...... :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

If it can only be 30% less reeling friction at high drag settings, I'll take it, along with the dual drag. But I hate it when they use the term; "up to", which means to me; not most of the time at higher drag settings...
Wonder if it has an ARB, or just dogs, or both?
Thanks for posting Alex.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

boon

Quote from: Gfish on November 28, 2023, 04:07:28 PMIf it can only be 30% less reeling friction at high drag settings, I'll take it, along with the dual drag. But I hate it when they use the term; "up to", which means to me; not most of the time at higher drag settings...
Thanks for posting Alex.

If it's anything like the existing generation, it will just have double silent dogs. None of the 2-speeds have an ARB, I believe they need a little bit of give in the driveshaft to make shifting work nicely.

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on November 28, 2023, 04:07:28 PMIf it can only be 30% less reeling friction at high drag settings, I'll take it, along with the dual drag. But I hate it when they use the term; "up to", which means to me; not most of the time at higher drag settings...
Thanks for posting Alex.

no need to thank Greg, I like shimano stuff  :P
if I had the money I would take the new talica over any avet raptor, I need to say that I still in love with my Makaira 15 which is small, powerful and solid as a rock and pretty smooth on high drag settings

BTW, Boon is right, normally all two speed reels dont have ARB
The Baja Guy

boon

I've had a play with the new Talica. It looks to have addressed several issues the previous generation had. The clamp is a different design to stop the studs corroding into the frame of the reel - instead using the slotted holes in the stainless foot - and they have gone to a silver anodising on the handle arm. This may sound silly but I swear Shimano has had an issue with their gold anodising for years - I have seen several Talicas with severe corrosion around the joint between the handle arm and the post for the knob. Hopefully this reel is more robust.
The shape is subtly different; there is no longer such a significant size difference between the left and right side plates. The drag lever is larger and if I remember right it now has subtle detents instead of being smooth.
The change to a twin-disc drag is nice, I guess, but at the same time we have a Talica 12 that has delivered more than enough drag for years without ever having issues with the bearings.
I wonder how long it will take to refresh the 20/25, 50, and maybe even the 8/10...

bigreddog

I had a chance to use a new Talica 16 on an 11-day trip out of San Diego last month. The double drag did such a good job of reducing handle resistance that it makes it worth the upgrade, at least to me. I was disappointed that Shimano did not make the improvement of reducing spool arbor size, particularly on the 12 which could use another 50-100 yards of braid capacity.

For me the old Talica 12s and 16s had marginally enough drag, and the new ones have tons of drag available.

I am looking forward to an upgraded 20 size. Reduced handle resistance will make it an even better jigging reel. I hope that they do what Penn did with the Fathom 40 second generation and use a lower low gear ratio. If they do that, I think that it will be the obvious choice for nighttime jig bluefin fishermen out of San Diego.