Spinfisher VI 9500

Started by Shellbelly, November 28, 2023, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

My son hinted to Santa, via Mrs. Santa, about a new reel...a spinner.  He knows I'm a conventional guy so I imagine he anticipated some pushback if he had approached me directly.  I got my marching orders from the boss and consulted the web.  Reviews are what they are.

I haven't bought a NIB reel from a store since a pair of ABU 5000 AL's caught my eye in a hardware store, whenever that was.  On top of that, I last used a spinner in 1981.  I remember the date because a carp spooled me in the Guadalupe River.  Nothing against spinners, I'm not a hater, I just like conventionals.

We are surf guys so I got him a reel that he can also use offshore should he ever decide to go out....and I believe he will.  I'll pair this up for the surf with a 10-12' MH fast 2pc.  Not sure what brand yet.  Looking at Rockaway's at the moment.  Bigwater's taper is a bit stiff, but doable.  Pluggin' along with surf rods....just don't want a noodle because they give up height when parked.

This is a big ### spinning reel!  It will hold enough line and has enough drag to haul 95% of what we hook from shore....40# or less is what we get into.  It ought to drag a stingray off the bottom as well.

So, my line question is about backing.  I'm not sure if it's necessary on this reel but I'm thinking 100yds of 50# mono (supposed to have 40# of drag here) and then 60# braid.  That should get him halfway to the Yucatan ;)

Next, what spare parts should I keep handy in the field and on the bench?  Does it NEED upgrades?

Lastly, the VI9500 has been out for a while.  Anybody love it, hate it, broke it?  Caught a bunch of fish with it?   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

thorhammer

no upgrades needed. 12' or up; I havent seen an 11 that balances. It's a beast. I put backing on, otherwise braid will cost a hundred bucks.