Poseidon

Started by Windrush, November 30, 2023, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windrush

I recently bought a Poseidon 500R on a used site and received it only to find out the drag would not adjust.  I took it apart and tried to find a cause but I don't have much experience with lever drag reels and I got nowhere.  Info on these reels is nonexistent so I'm asking for help to find someone capable and willing to make this thing work.  I'm on the east coast but obviously I'm willing to ship anywhere.  Thanks

alantani

it's likely just a copy.  same basic design as other reels.  there is probably no chance that you could just return it, right?  i'd be willing to take a look, but i'm just so swamped right now (as always).  can it be returned for a refund?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Windrush

I should have mentioned that it was an auction or I would have returned it.  That's not an option for me.  I have too many reels for one person but I was intrigued to try a Thailand reel with 60# drag and it was represented as new.
It is single speed.  Someone like you could probably determine quickly if it's repairable or at least modifiable to make it work.  I understand if it's a write off.

alantani

Crab Pot

I have a Poseidon two-speed reel, bought it new at the Cal Expo Show.

First time out, fly lining a Sardine, I hooked into a nice Yellowtail which naturally went straight down and locked the reel up instantly.

I sent it back to Poseidon's local rep on warranty, who said I had obviously taken the reel apart and thus voided the warranty. Case Closed.

Makes a great paper weight now.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Crab Pot on November 30, 2023, 10:02:30 PMI sent it back to Poseidon's local rep on warranty, who said I had obviously taken the reel apart and thus voided the warranty. Case Closed.

They didn't even give you a repair quote?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crab Pot

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 30, 2023, 10:34:24 PM
Quote from: Crab Pot on November 30, 2023, 10:02:30 PMI sent it back to Poseidon's local rep on warranty, who said I had obviously taken the reel apart and thus voided the warranty. Case Closed.

They didn't even give you a repair quote?

Bryan,

They may have, it was a long time ago.

I was pretty Pissed-Off at the time and not a happy customer.

I still have it.

Tried taking it apart to repair myself, now I have a bag of parts!  ;D

boon

Can you expand on the drag not adjusting? You push the lever forward and get no drag? If so, check if the hexagonal alloy post that screws to the right side plate is intact and hasn't completely rounded off. On this design of reel, if you wind the drag preload way up and force the drag lever up the cam (stainless steel) will rotate on the very soft alloy post and take all the corners off.
This is the fundamental issue with reels of this sort. The design is very nice because it's copied from Accurate, and the machining is top-notch; the problem is the metals (and other materials) are often just not up to the job required of them, especially when such small reels are capable of producing huge drag numbers with the associated force on the components.
I did a full stripdown/review of a Poseidon quite a few years ago; I concluded it was probably one of the best of the chinese Accurate copies but still had several issues.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

alantani

Quote from: Crab Pot on November 30, 2023, 10:02:30 PMI have a Poseidon two-speed reel, bought it new at the Cal Expo Show. Makes a great paper weight now.

mail this one to me as well!

Crab Pot

Quote from: alantani on December 01, 2023, 03:45:39 AM
Quote from: Crab Pot on November 30, 2023, 10:02:30 PMI have a Poseidon two-speed reel, bought it new at the Cal Expo Show. Makes a great paper weight now.

Now I have to find it! LOL

Robert Janssen

Quote from: alantani on December 01, 2023, 03:45:39 AM

Y'know, keep me posted on how this develops. Just kinda curious to see how this turns out

alantani

Crab Pot

Ok Alan,

If you were serious I dug it out.

Poseidon Model 400R Two-speed.

I forgot how good looking a reel this was, probably why I bought it!

PM me your address.

Robert Janssen,

Sorry I highjacked your thread.

Thanks,

Steve