WD40 Formula change

Started by Lunker Larry, November 30, 2023, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

I wasn't aware until recently that there had been changes to WD40. Apparently it has been done in the U.S. and will be effective in Canada in Jan 2024.
Did anyone notice the change? WD40 is my main cleaner. Like the hot sauce commercial..I use this *&$!_on everything.
See article below.

https://nationalpost.com/news/wd-40-will-not-be-banned-in-canada
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Shellbelly

Hmmm.  Does that mean it won't smell as good as it used to?

Seriously, some good products have fallen victim to VOC standards.  Varathane liquid plastic was good stuff.  Varsol was a good parts cleaner.

Won't be long before bar and chain oil will be targeted.  I suspect that won't fly well in Canada.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

ExcessiveAngler

No! what it really means, is the cans will go bad even faster than they do now!
I noticed a few years ago, all the sudden my my new cans wouldn't spray properly, when it was cold, or not at all anymore!
This was after being stored where it was really cold for a short while!
Now, I have to keep them all inside!
I just had to throw away three cans in the trash the other day!
I think, I still have an old can of this awesome spray here, that's literally 30 years old! It's called Aluma something, that sprayed every time, cold or hot!
Would love to know what the stuff is made out of, probably WD-40 before its day lol!
Getting ready to go into that cabinet shortly and get rid of a bunch of stuff, might still be in there, hopefully!

Shellbelly

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on December 06, 2023, 12:56:12 AMthe cans will go bad even faster than they do now!
You can still get it in a gallon can and put it in a spray bottle.  I get it, who needs a gallon of that stuff?  I have a dead can or three, too.  Now I look for old cans of household oil and solvents at estate sales.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

PacRat

I wonder why they didn't change the name to WD41?

Keta

"New and Improved" seldom is.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

The new and improved thing is often the profit margin.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

They had to change it. Trudeau outlawed wd40 and brake cleaners in Canada several months ago. Didn't fit the new world orders eco hysteria.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Doesn't bother me, I've never liked the crap in the first place. I bought a gallon 20 years ago in case I needed a thinner oil. Probably still have 120 oz left in that gal can.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Like, i get the frustration of a well loved and familiar tool becoming duller by mandate because others don't know how to use it safely. But I still find myself lacking the right way to express my confusion at folks' love for their old VOC chemicals. You're probably better off without them.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Agree. I almost never clean with solvents. I don't even like to paint anything unless absolutely necessary.
I like Shellbelly's idea; buy a large container and use a spray bottle. I have never pressed a spray button on a pressurized WD40 can without too much coming out. Once I lose that stupid red nozzle attachment, who knows what direction it'll spray...? Planned excessive use...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!