Penn 706Z Line Roller Complete Disassembly

Started by shootandfish1, December 02, 2023, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootandfish1

Hello Folks,

The Penn 'Z' Spinning Series has become a favorite for some time now.  I'm drawn to the  simplistic, yet outstanding design features that make for a rugged, durable reel that is easy to maintain.  I've collected several 712Z, 710Z, 704Z, and 706Z Reels ranging between NIB and 'parts' reels.

The manual pick-up design of the 706Z is especially fascinating as this reel gets my vote for being the most 'trouble-free' of the 'Z' series.   

Now my questions.  What is the best tool to remove the Bail Lock Nut #36 without damaging this part?  And is there a tutorial showing how to disassemble and service the 706Z Line Roller Bearing #35A?

ON EDIT-SEE POST #3    I tried an open-end wrench that fit the flats of the Bail lock Nut perfectly,  but due to the 'hemisphere' shape, there is not enough metal on the edges to prevent deformation.  I pride myself in using tools that fit perfectly and being able to detail strip / reassemble equipment where no one can ever tell that a tool has ever touched a fastener (I have a large set of gun-smithing screwdriver bits and use 6 point wrenches/sockets.). 

Thanks, Fred

ExcessiveAngler

7/16" sounds kinda big for the bail nut?
Thought it was more like a 1/4" or 5/16"
Took mine off with a six-in-one screwdriver using one of the open ends with the bit removed. Having problems with my manual pick up as well. Mine refuses to spin smoothly after trying to clean it up.
I don't think, I saw a link here for servicing the line roller, I could be mistaken though.
What's going on with yours, or are you just doing regular maintenance?

shootandfish1

I'm probably wrong about the width of the bail lock nut, it's been a while since I 'played' with it.  Currently rearanging the house,  if I stumble across my wrenches, I'll check it. 

No issues at all with the line roller, I just want to be able to do a complete disassemble/clean/service/reassemble without the bail lock nut looking like someone used a 'jack-hammer'. 

shootandfish1

Well........This is embarrassing. 

Excessive Angler's Response about the width of the 706Z bail Nut Lock got me to take a break and look for some Standard sized wrenches.  I was way off based when I mentioned that an 7/16 open end fit the flats perfectly.  Even a 5/16 was too big and a 1/4 was too small.  I will have to dig out my miniature wrenches.  I do know that I had a 'perfect' fit and right now a 9/32 is my best guess.

Midway Tommy

Get yourself a couple of of sets of Craftsman ignition wrenches, one SAE & one metric, and you'll be set for anything that comes your way. You'll have a little better leverage. They're not very expensive.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I have 4 -712s 1/4" works on all of mine?I too just use the 6in1 screwdriver.

shootandfish1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 03, 2023, 04:24:23 PMGet yourself a couple of of sets of Craftsman ignition wrenches, one SAE & one metric, and you'll be set for anything that comes your way. You'll have a little better leverage. They're not very expensive.

I already have them, just have to find them.  I also call them ignition wrenches, but think that Craftsman now calls them something different. 

Irregardless, the open-end wrench I used before was not going to remove the bail lock nut without damage.

Quote from: jgp12000 on December 03, 2023, 05:08:50 PMI have 4 -712s 1/4" works on all of mine?I too just use the 6in1 screwdriver.

The 706Z manual pickup uses a completely different design than the wire bail "Z's".

shootandfish1

Here is a pic of the 706Z Bail Lock Nut #36

sandbar

Are these the style wrenches you are talking about?

shootandfish1

Hi Sandbar,

The Craftsman wrenches I have are a very small combination (open and closed ends) type.   Quick look on eBay, they are listed as ignition, mini, miniature, midget or combinations of all 4 descriptions. 

I will try to dig them out tonight as I now need to load some furniture before the rain comes.

foakes

You are exactly right, Fred —-

Wrench size is 9/32".

I keep a complete set of these on the right side of my main reel bench.

Also, for no damage & quick disassembly —- these Knipex, tiny smooth-jawed plier-wrenches work very well.

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

shootandfish1

Thank You, Floakes

Those smooth jaw knipex pliers are the missing link.  Guessing 5" ?  I had actually thought about carefully filing some vise grips jaws for a 100% contact along the bail lock nut flats.

A second thought was to search for a small 'acorn' nut that uses a '6' point tool (eliminate the original Peen part completely).   And a third thought was to call Penn directly and see if they had a special tool.

Yes, I'm a bit obsessive (blame it on my upbringing, Dad was tough about his mechanicing).

Now, for part 2.  Who routinely pulls out the 706Z's Line Roller Bearing #35A for cleaning/lubing. Oil or grease?   Or would regularly placing a few drops of 'Kroil' along the line roller edges eventually work into the ball bearing?

jgp12000