Super-wide oscillating, what is this mean?

Started by BCT7, December 04, 2023, 08:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCT7

I recently got a hold of a spinning reel that has "super-wide oscillating" label on it. I am curious if anyone can tell me what that means but there is not a lot of info on the internet about it. I found a video on how to service it:

I noticed that I seem to be able to cast further with less effort using this reel, but it may be just my imagination. I hurt my left arm so it has negatively impacted how I can cast.

Second question, seem like a pretty decent reel? The guy on the YouTube video seems to like it.

jurelometer

My guess is it is just some translation/marketing babblespeak weirdness -Daiwa probably is referring to long (not wide) oscillating, as this reel has a long spool.  Longer spools are generally better for distance casting  as more line leaves the spool per coil, and the line doesn't drop below ow the lip as quickly as the line empties on the spool.  But the longer spool requires longer oscillation, which requires a longer section of unsupported shaft, which in turn can make the reel a bit weaker, especially under drag. Some spinners come with both long and normal spool models.

No idea if this is a good reel or not.

-J

Gfish

I like Dennis(2'nd Chance Tackle). He might be easy to work with and learn from. No loud, radical music, funny camera angles, stupid facial expressions or dumb jokes.

"Super-wide" could mean super(extra)-long ossilation. I have a Shimano like that. Yeah the spool is up/down long and the oscillation is very slow. Casts great, but has too much graphite composite and feels kinda flimsy.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

It's a worm oscillation reel. My bet is its like my daiwa SS reels where they have a 15° crosswrap angle. Thats actually pretty wide. And great for casting. Super-wide though? Marketing.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

BCT7

Thank you everyone! I have only gone fishing twice and so far like it. The line seems to come out smoother and I seem to be able to cast further with this reel.