Shimano torsa

Started by Hardy Boy, December 05, 2023, 01:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Are these nice. I have a chance to buy a really clean lightly used one. I've never seen one. Are they good wgat would be a good price. It's a 20

Cheers

Todd
Todd

alantani

not a fan.  if you crack one open, i think you will find them embarrassingly simple inside.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

They're way more $$$ than they're worth. They were very expensive for what they are. Very smooth drag though!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Marlinmate

I use them in the 30 size for White marlin fishing.  Really good reels with smooth drop back and smooth drag.

I maintain a boat load of them for an operation out of Cabo/Mag Bay.
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Hardy Boy

If it checks out as good as it looks I think I'll buy it . It's really clean from the pics and only used a few times. You think 200 is a good price?. Thanks MM if I need tips or to locate parts I'll contact you.

Todd
Todd

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Jump on it Todd.  A really clean lightly used Torsa would normally go for at least $375, and sometimes a lot more for the 16N or 40.  If you don't like it,  you could sell it in a heartbeat for $300.

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 08, 2023, 03:33:47 PMIf it checks out as good as it looks I think I'll buy it . It's really clean from the pics and only used a few times. You think 200 is a good price?. Thanks MM if I need tips or to locate parts I'll contact you.

Todd

jurelometer

Welp,

I think that you have to compare against the opportunity of getting a couple bottles of good Canadian rye.

A nice breakdown/assembly  of the reel on the Alan Tani website: https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,1771.15.html

Here are my thoughts if you are thinking of actually fishing the reel.

1. The reels were advertised as having a set of different cams available. You can tell which one by looking at the markings on the knob.  So make sure that this reel has the right cam for what you want.

2. Sort of a odd duck, design wise.  This reel was supposed to be lever drag casting reel ("combining a Tiagra with  a Calcutta" , blah, blah, blah), so it is very wide with  a very high gear ratio, but the reel overall is heavy, and with all that junk bolted onto a beefy spool, I doubt that it was a great caster.  Maybe better than the big gold lever drags of that generation, but... meh.  I could see how Marlinmate's Baja  customer might like these reels for pitching live mackerel to sailfish and striped marlin, even if the gear ratio is not ideal.

3.  Drag rating doesn't seem to be listed anywhere. Sort of a red flag.  The design being simple is a plus as far I am concerned.  The load distribution is a bit different than normal.   I'll take a simple design fished within its limits any day, but I would like to know what the limits are.  Might have something to do with the switchable cams.  The "bottomfish cam" cam has a 50lb marker on it, but it is easier to get 50 lbs of drag on an empty spool .

4.  One-way bearing.  Need I say more.

And, do you really need another reel?  :)

-J

boon

They are sought-after for light tackle fishing. Exceptional drag when you don't need a whole lot of it. They have been well and truly superseded by other models if you need something heavy duty.

Hardy Boy

Well it was super clean so well I own it now. I have not cracked it open yet or given it a service but man is it smooth, free spool for ever and it gets good drag. The avet was great also but this torsa is quiet and smooth. Will nake a good reel for halibut or what ever
Todd

Hardy Boy

A little bit of rash but what used reel does not. Just enough for me not to worry using it or it becoming a shelf queen. No signs of extra grease so it's still stock and only been on a boat ride a few times.
Todd

Marlinmate

if you need even more free spool...you can take off the brake collars from the spool.

If I've removed the brake collars, I also then remove the brake ring and it's screws.  Takes a few ounces out of the reel. This makes a difference if tournament fishing and holding the rod/reel all day waiting for a bite.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Bryan Young

Hey Todd, yeah that's a pretty clean really he got there. And like they say, if you don't like it, we can always sell it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D