Port Hardy Rock Cod

Started by Brewcrafter, December 07, 2023, 06:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Made one of my classics standards last night.IMG_4833.jpg
Mind you, this is not El Pescador Wayne or Dominick level of culinary bliss, but pretty easy for anyone, and works will with any rockcod or similar.  I was lucky enough to have some red rockcod from last summer's Port Hardy trip.  Marinate in plain, old, cheapo, Italian dressing (Wish Bone).  Oddly enough, it works better than using good stuff  (trust me, I've tried :D ), along with fresh ground black pepper.  Onto the hot Weber kettle.  The oil in the salad dressing prevents sticking on the grill.  Do not dally, and do not go to the refrigerator for a beer - this part requires attention.  After 1 minute or so on the hot grill when the filets start to appears cooked on the bottom edges, flip the filets, they should have nice marks from the blazing hot grill but still have a "solid" consistency that combined with the oil allows a easy, stick-free flip.  Continue to monitor, and at this point (and my caveat for pretty much all seafood) is, when you think its about 1 minute or so from being done - pull it off the heat: it's done!  (and it will continue to ramp as you plate up).  If your fish starts to break apart, etc: it's overdone.  Only my own opinion on seafood, but I think the two biggest issues in why people do not like it is due to A: Inadequate care in post-catch processing and storage, and B: Overcooking.  Anyhow, I digress...
Garnish with some minced parsley, add some rice pilaf and a fresh salad on the side - glass of wine for SWMBO, pint of lager for Dad, family was happy!!!! - john

steelfish

Marinate in plain, old, cheapo, Italian dressing (Wish Bone).  Oddly enough, it works better than using good stuff  (trust me, I've tried :D ), along with fresh ground black pepper.  Onto the hot Weber kettle.  The oil in the salad dressing prevents sticking on the grill.  - john
[/quote]

thanks for sharing this excellent tip, I will try it soon.

that fish looks yum!!
The Baja Guy

El Pescador

John,

Thank YOU for your kind comments, BUTT when I want to REELY enjoy some quality food and an excellent bottle of Zinfandel, Dominick's home is where you want to be.

Last trip to Morro Bay, Linda asked for ONE larger-than-normal Rockfish for me to bring back, and for Dominick to steam, whole and served on a warm platter.

After the meal, Linda and I get to work and pick EVERY PIECE OF fish meat off the head, behind the ears, around the jaws, any remaining cooked fish meat we remove for our final once over.

Always good, the company is even better!!!!

Todd, I just drove past Port Hardy, BC on our cruise from Vancouver to the coastal ports of SE Alaska & back.  Wind was blowing over 50 knots, making it difficult to stand atop deck 18.  I'll post some photos soon.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

Looks delicious. We do the same salad dressing hack with grilled shrimp too. Delicious.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Quote from: steelfish on December 07, 2023, 08:13:58 PMMarinate in plain, old, cheapo, Italian dressing (Wish Bone).  Oddly enough, it works better than using good stuff  (trust me, I've tried :D ), along with fresh ground black pepper.  Onto the hot Weber kettle.  The oil in the salad dressing prevents sticking on the grill.  - john

thanks for sharing this excellent tip, I will try it soon.

that fish looks yum!!
[/quote]

That works excellent for shark. Cut it into cubes/chunks and soak it in Italian dressing and Barbie-up.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Jueno, is my biggest fan.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.