Older TwinPower 8000PG Drag Clicker

Started by selthy, December 08, 2023, 07:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selthy

I recently acquired an older circa 2002 TwinPower 8000PG. Fixed/Serviced a couple of basic issues like the line roller and stiff bail arm, but can't work out how to fix the drag clicker... Quite simply there is no noise when pulling drag, and I can't seem to find the actual clicker to service.

Some pics of the reel attached, along with the schematics from the box. The pic of the spool is taken from top down, and you may notice a ball bearing in the middle. The ball bearing come out rather easily, but the other parts seem to be part of the spool (or should these be removable with a little force?).

I'm not familiar with this type of design where the drag is part of the knob. Will get some CirClip pliers and have a look under the drag knob to see what is in there, but any other ideas welcome.

Gfish

Shimano spinners are engineered with alota parts. The knob is probably designed to put spring pressure on the drag stack, but not work as a friction producing unit.
I think you may have to keep figuring out how it all comes apart to see if the clicker is broken or maybe installed wrong. Is there an English name for part #13?
2- ball bearings for the spool?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jtwill98

Is this schematic for the model reel you have?

https://fishshop.shimano.com/collections/tp8000swbpg

If so, it looks like there more going on underneath the spool that needs investigation.  Have a look at click pin (RD12493) & click spring holder (RD12491) listed in the second page parts list.   

selthy

Thanks for the replies. GFish, I opened up the drag knob and there's a couple of springs in there. A bigger heavy duty spring in the centre and a mini spring with a 'small insert'. The small insert appears to be what makes the clicking noise when I tighten or loosen the knob. There does appear to be a couple of addittional slots similar to where the small spring is sitting, and its possible a spring has gone missing or this one is in the wrong spot. Unfortunately there is only japanes text in the manual, and strangely there was not parts list/key in it either.

Jtwill98, I'm pretty sure this reel predates the SW twinpowers and there appears to be some differences in parts (see the schematic from the manual that was in the box I received). It has however helped in that I've now realised the drag stack remains in the spool...

But I can't seem to work out how to access the drag stack... looks to me that I need some sort of tool to insert and rotatate the drage stack etc. our of the spool... anyone know how to do this?

boon

Are you completely missing parts 9, 10, and 11? They are what make it go click.

jtwill98

While not the same spool, I think you can access the drag stack without the specialized tool doing something similar as this fellow does at 3:40 mark in  his video: https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=589822732&sxsrf=AM9HkKkZrS6miI1H5NxelNBg6yJiPk6Vyg:1702314462712&q=shimano+twin+power+8000+pg+vs+swb8000PG&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjz5-DG74eDAxU_mWoFHXCGBvgQBSgAegQIChAC&biw=1221&bih=557&dpr=1.5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:94ec13d3,vid:0mXAUhtIayQ,st:0

Inserting needle nose pliers as he did into the two half-moon looking indents in your spool photo and turning the ring counter-clockwise will likely give you access.  GL.