Part 3 . Of some fun we had in Alaska.

Started by gstours, December 09, 2023, 01:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello all,  here is part three of quite a few.   Of some fun we had in Alaska,  Its a compilation of amature video following the theme from the earlier posts.   Thanks for watching....
 THE FORUM    PGS. 31-40

#31    https://youtu.be/Zyo3VIllo6c?si=2Yuwys9aSOMrmSjL    7 min.   Fishing halibuts on the Maiko with Ken,   here we were fishing with pcs of fish for bait on the bottom behind the anchored boat.   Sometimes a fish after being hooked will swim out and tangle with other lines and cause a mess.  This one was minor and generally wastes others fishing time.    Ken is shown here trying a Scotty rod grip to see if this will make it easier to lift the rod as his strength was waning from his illness.   We get this fish in and that makes it a good day.   

32.    https://youtu.be/g66dMzEX6eI?si=aSMugOzEWUZ4kimz    8.5 min.   The Banax 7000 is a fairly small electric reel that we tried on and off to see if it would make fishing easier for Ken butt it was not his cup of tea.   The reel seemed to have enough cranking power for the average size halibut and certainly made checking you bait easy.  When fighting the fish the reel would quickly pick up the line when pumping the rod like a typical persons actions.    This was an option but we never used it a lot.   The fish here is typically what most people like to take home for food.   

33.    https://youtu.be/ejzTgvneTeo?si=GjkZ2UYrhqhG4p2W    45 sec.   A short clip of a winter morning trolling the shoreline for king salmon.   Its about 20f and the sun is out,  with calm winds we troll around and while the morning away.   Here is an average size of feeder king on ice.   These fish are always welcome in my boat!

34.    https://youtu.be/R6oCKAN4yEI?si=PeWU8oQyaSgSbeUQ    36 sec.   A short clip of another winter morning of trolling along the shoreline with a fresh king salmon in the cleaning tray.   These fish are among the best tasting fish there are if you like salmon.

35.    https://youtu.be/UXuBkWzZtX0?si=8ckLvk76kzDqjOrI    6.3 min.   Late in the fall we decide to fish a little bit more for halibuts.   As my boat was still on a mooring it was the fishing platform by default..   Ken and I were using herring and squid for bait anchored in a place where we had found some nice sized fish earlier that year.    When his rod went down we knew it was a good sized fish.   Here is the clip of a fun day late season..   Success again and lucky too.

36.    https://youtu.be/cIWxKsjDRlA?si=IXiFa--pZ9ed0P1k    4.8 min.   Ken wanted to take me fishing and I jumped at the chance.   We anchored on a spot where we had some luck before.    Using a new to me reel and a penn rampage jig rod I decided to send down one of my homade jigs.   Here is the first fish that stayed in the jig to bring up.   There are more small fish in the sea than are large so now there is one less.    This one was perfect for the Mrs.    Fresh fish is the best,  just vac pak the rest and freeze it,  right?    Its always fun to fish for an adventure....

37.        25 sec.    The question seems to always be raised to the sport fisherman/persons what side of a flat fish should the fish be stored as?   The picture people seem to like to view the halibuts from the bottom/white side.   Mostly from what I see the commercial workers store the fish white side up.   Its always fun to learn about fishing stuff.

38.        2 min.    Using your own creative tackle ideas sometimes puts doubts in the outcome of the days success.   Butt you never know untill the clock runs out and the anchor is pulled. Ken assists in dealing with the fish and I,m being selfish and just hurrying to get the jig back down in the water.....  It is a clone to the P line Jig that was thought to be about 14 oz....  It finally did catch a fish,  butt was this a bad jig, bad bait, or a bad day,  or all of the above?   Its always fun to try different stuff.    I guess its how we get a favorite,  Right?

39.         3 sec.   The Maiko with Ken aboard,  The catch,  The smile.   What a day for the book of fishermans dreams. 

40.        1.6 min.   A short clip of a good catch using the Shimano Beastmaster 12V reel.   This reel will handle about anything in the water worth eating and makes checking you bait a breeze.   Ken is along this fine day and we soak some salmon heads on circle hooks just for the fun of it.    Thanks for coming along.

Dominick

Hey Buttman, thanks for posting those videos.  You make halibut fishing seem easy.  The Joy in Ken's face with the halibut is classic.  I only met him once and I thought he was a great guy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

Gary - Love the videos watching a couple of Pro's!  I am always blown away at how in so many of the videos the water is glass smooth, but you can see the current ripping by so fast it almost looks like you are trolling.  Amazing you can get a jig to the bottom in those conditions!
I noticed in both the video with the Banax and also the Beastmaster that the reels look to be similar setup being hardwired to 12V.  In the Banax video it sounds like there is mention of the connector to the reel being a known failure point - but with my poor laptop computer speakers I cannot tell if it is you or Ken talking.  Did you guys do anything special/top secret/different to avoid any potential issues on those setups? - john

Bill B

Thank you Gary for letting us in on your adventures with Ken.  Wish i could have met him and discussed fishing over a couple beers.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jurelometer

Bryan Young

Thanks Gary. You guys sure had some amazing times fishing together from the beautiful scenery to the amazing catches.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gstours

Thanks for watching our experiences,  Your questions and comments are appreciated.  You are helping me to feel like we are a family, and even though ive only met a few of you we have a lot in common.  Like sharing and being kind.   You all are the best.   Thanks again.
  As for the questions on the electric reels,  ive only got two.  the Beastmaster and the Banax are good reels.  That said the corded reels are a nuisance much like a corded drill compared to the latest offerings of the consumer battery powered drill or other tools.   Its like looking back and seeing how far we have come .  So...
   The Banax was not shipped with anything in the english languish as for instructions,  Its make in Korea and all info was printed in Korean,  so getting it set up with its programs for jigging has been a blindfolded approach.  No english instructions have been obtained yet.   I like the reel for size, weight, price, drag capability, etc.   And now to the Point of Mr. Brewmasters question,  in my muttering in the clip he might have heard my grumblings.   The Banax will shut off and shut down all functions when it sits in a rod holder for a few minits.....Less than ten for no particular reason.  ????? :(
  In this forum the Banax rep was a present for a very short time.   That said,  I like the reel BUTT... :al

Donnyboat

Thanks for a view of you adventures Gary I love them all, & Mr brewcrafter, John Toby, have a look @ the daiwa tanacom post on the  forum, you will see how I placed a right angle on the cord, right next to the reel, then taped the cord to the rod, I have never had any trouble with the cord or wires braking since, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Thanks Mr Donny,   I like your suggestions for the strain relief improvement and will use it.   The Banax reel was a novelty in an easy way to check baits, refreshen and easily keep fishing again when fishing deeper waters we sorta disdain, yet kinda would like to explore if you catch my drift as a fisherp. :cf  Since the first reel there is another one show in some of my halibut posts.  Its capable of anything I might want to bring up in the rod holder.  The electric reel has its place and problems,  That said ive gotten use to scoffers.  :-\  We just go to deeper water and let the tide runn.++     life is short...  Lets go fishing. :d