Penn 4200SS Drag Issues

Started by GooseCreekRods, December 09, 2023, 09:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GooseCreekRods

I have a Penn 4200ss that has no drag. It previously had a cracked spool cap, which I replaced. The drag washer (carbontex keyed) and drag stack looks correct according to the schematic. You can max down on the drag, grab the spool, and with very little effort, spin it around. Looking further, I see there is a pin in the main shaft that fits into a grooved out recess in the spool sleeve. I can hold the shaft, turn the spool sleeve, and the pin pops out of the groove and spins around as I turn the sleeve. I take it this is not suppose to happen? Suggestions? (See photos attached).
Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC

foakes

Providing —-

That the drag knob is the correct one?

And that the drag spring washer, metal washer, and Carbontex washer are correctly there and in place...

Plus, that the under-spool Teflon washer is in place.

And if all is snugged down not super tight —- but with a little drag action —- the spool shaft Cross-Pin should not pop out of the groove.

It sounds like the first thing I might check, if all is in place properly —- would be that the drag knob is not bottoming out before engaging the drag stack.  This could happen if it is the wrong drag knob.  OR, if the spring drag washer on top of the (2) drag washers is missing?

For the popping off issue — could be a piece missing from the spool spindle, or the top part of the spool shaft missing, or broken on one ear.  Should be push-button spool release.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

GooseCreekRods

Thank you for your reply. Yes, all are in place as per the schematic and the drag knob is the correct one. After I took it apart again, I noticed that the button on top of the spool shaft was "sticking" somewhat. I cleaned it all with brake and carb cleaner, ran it back through the ultrasonic cleaner again, re-lubed everything and . . . fingers crossed . . . seems to have a functioning drag now. That may have been all there was to it.
Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC