Penn's Anti-Reverse Bearing - Battle III DX 2500/3000/4000

Started by shootandfish1, December 13, 2023, 09:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootandfish1

Hi Folks,

Prices for Penn's Battle III DX versions (Brass Main & Pinion Gears) have become quite reasonable lately.   Holding me back from buying sizes 2500/3000/4000 is my aversion to the modern-day anti-reverse bearings.   I have absolutely zero experience with them and my understanding is that the clutch/sleeve assemble must be keep free of oil/grease.

How does one maintain/service Penn's AR Bearing? Clean with a solvent and dry? Ignore and replace on failure?  Truth is that Penn's AR Bearings are relatively inexpensive and keeping spares on hand would 'save the day'.

But part of me wants to avoid the 'newer' reels and stay with my 'vintage' reels that use a 'dog and ratchet' anti-reverse.  I like the Penn 'Z' series partly due to that I can keep oil/grease on key parts very easily (and detail strip) and I don't have worry about any oil/grease intrusion rendering an AR Bearing useless.

Thoughts?

Fred H

alantani

i would just drizzle in some corrosion x.  that should keep them working fine.  if they fail, you will have to replace them.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

shootandfish1

Quote from: alantani on December 13, 2023, 05:13:38 PMi would just drizzle in some corrosion x.  that should keep them working fine.  if they fail, you will have to replace them.   :-\

Thanks Alan,  I'm taking your comment to mean that AR Bearings can function ok 'wet', but not to flood it with oil.  Checking with Mystic, for the reels I'm considering, the AR Bearing costs $3.65-$5.90.   Keeping a spare or two on hand is probably a smart idea.

BTW, Thank you for providing this site.   The cumulative knowledge base here is amazing and has provided me with many hours of enjoyable reading.

Fred H 

alantani

yes, i just drizzle some corrosion x through and then let the excess drain out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!