Tiagra 50 W Drag working backwards

Started by Tonymo, December 13, 2023, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonymo

watched videos, read steps, and I have been cleaning and lubricating my 50W Tiagra's.  The first reel went very well.

The second reel, I pulled off both sides of reel frame, cleaned the side plate, unscrewed drag plate, greased drag washer, reassembled.

Then I  cleaned and greased inside of the the handle side/drag lever side  of the reel, oiled the clicker. Other than the drive gears slding off the shaft and me putting them back on, I didn't take any components apart on the handle side of the reel.

Upon reassembly, the reel went together easily, but the drag is working backwards. When I push the lever to strike, the reel freespools, when I pull lever to "free" the spool moves and the drag tightens.

What did I do wrong?

thank you

alantani

ah, check to make sure that the cam is nested down properly when the lever is in the free position.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tonymo

Thank you for the reply....where is the cam?

alantani

here is your schematic.  https://fishshop.shimano.com/collections/ti50wa

the right side plate will have to come off.  find the right main side plate bearing (TT 576).  push on the bearing while you work the lever (TT 707) back and forth.  at some point, you will feel the bearing "drop" into place.  the bearing will be at its' lowest position when the lever is in free.  as you advance the lever, you should feel the bearing get pushed "outwards" by the cam. 

then reassemble the reel while the lever is in the free position. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tonymo

Squidder Bidder

Tonymo

alan, thx for the email. I sent reply, hope you received it

Tonymo

Thx Squidder, will apply for patent! LOL