Alcedo copy/ Sun Star & Dam Standard part wanted

Started by mark Hill, December 15, 2023, 01:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark Hill

Here's one for you Guru's...Made in Japan Alcedo copy called a Sun Star #33. Does anyone here have one? or any idea how to determine the year? Did they also make the smaller version like the ALCEDO MICRON? The reel seems every bit as nice as the Alcedo and built like a truck! I bought this reel on Ebay 4-5 years ago, if I remember correctly. Someone had it apart and lost the fiber and felt washers, so the spool clicker height was off, and the drag was nonexistent. Now she's already to whack some giant Smallmouth this coming spring. >>>P.S.> The reason for the picture of DAM Standard is, the very first time I took it out the handle broke. Mind you, this happened AFTER I had reeled on new line!!! Thats the Charlie Brown luck I've been blessed with...lol. Any help locating a new handle would be appreciated. Thanks everyone. Mark.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

Midway Tommy

Fred may have a spare handle for your Quick Standard.

The Sun Star 33 was from the 1960s. They also sold 2 ultra-lite models, the Sun Star 32 and the Sun Star Miniture 32A.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mark Hill

Thanks for the info Tommy, I really appreciate the knowledge in this group! If Fred has a handle for the old quick, I would be interested in getting the old girl back out on the water. My first trip didn't go so well. haha.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

foakes

Quote from: mark Hill on December 18, 2023, 03:53:51 PMThanks for the info Tommy, I really appreciate the knowledge in this group! If Fred has a handle for the old quick, I would be interested in getting the old girl back out on the water. My first trip didn't go so well. haha.

What part of the handle do you need, Mark?

Knob, knob screw, tightening disc, pin, crank blade.

It is not clear from here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mark Hill

Fred. Sorry for the slow reply...I spilled an entire cup of coffee on my laptop and had to replace it...more of my "Charlie Brown" luck! lol. The handle on my Quick broke right at the handle pin flush with the tightening disc. So basically, I need just the knob screw. My crank blade is quite pitted and cosmetically looks slllightly out of place when compared to the condition of the rest of the reel. If you have an extra blade I would be interested in in both pieces, if not, just the handle screw would be fine. This is my first time owning a Standard and I would like to put it to the test out on the water! >>>PS I had some major back issues hit last year and only made it out on the water one time in early spring...You all know that's some sort of a Sin! Haha.                                                   
   Thanks Fred and Tommy, you guys are REEL people. Mark.

foakes

This should take care of you, Mark —-

If you want this —- send me your full mailing info.

I will send it out, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mark Hill

Fred, I sent you a PM.                                                                                               
 I just want to give you a public "Thank You" here on our board. This group you started has the most knowledgeable, helpful and well-mannered members on the entire internet. Zero squabbles, everyone is so willing to help their fellow man or woman get back out on the water!!! Members showing real kindness and paying foreword...class acts.  Thanks again and have a great 2024, Mark.

foakes

It is not me, Mark —-

All of the credit goes to Alan for setting the tone and rules for this —- the largest reel repair site in the world with no advertising, generosity, and capable, polite members.

We just all follow his lead.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

mark Hill

My apologies Fred, I was under the impression that you and Alan ran the site together. Thanks Alan! I also want to give a special thanks or (as the kids say) a "shout out" to all the frequent posters in this group! Thank you all.

mark Hill

Fred, I received the handle today and it's absolutely mint! I cannot wait to get hooked up on some decent Smallmouths this spring and give the old DAM a good workout. Thanks again and I will be placing more orders in the near future. Mark

happyhooker

Great Mark could be helped.  What the AT site is all about--getting help and giving help.

How about one more shout out to Alan & the folks who "manage" this site in such a  unique way?  No cost to join.  You can talk about pretty much anything fishing related, and if you have some other things you want to speak on, there is room for some of that too.  I have personally "met" some great folks on this site, and the camaraderie is super.  Getting close to my # 2000 post.  Have enjoyed every one of them.

Frank