First real Conventional

Started by sandbar, December 15, 2023, 11:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I just bought my first real Conventional reel.
I have not used one since my childhood.
Penn 146L. It's a beauty.
What rods should I be looking for?

Crab Pot

I'd be looking for a 15-25 pound, (I like) 8 foot in length, med-fast action.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Swami805

Calstar 270-8H, seeker 806h, united composite 800xf calstar graphiter 800L. Lots of possibilities
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Squidder Bidder

What kind of fishing are you aiming to do, and what is your budget? Also, what is the maximum drag setting that you expect to fish (are the internals hot-rodded)?

One thing is that the combo of a vintage reel and a new rod is going to feel a bit unbalanced, because the reel is bigger and heavier than a new reel designed for braid, while the new rods are lighter and thinner than the rods that used to pair with Squidders and the like. The fact that your reel is the narrowest configuration helps here.

Rancanfish

The 146 isn't reel big. (See what I did there)? I put Bryan's 5 stack in my squidders. Never had a failure of any sort.

I used mine for SF Bay halibut and even Leopard sharking where the slow retrieve worked well.

I agree with Crab pot and Swami, 7'6" +.

Anybody needs a BNIB 146, mine is still for sale here. (Shameless plug).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sandbar

Second question is, did I get a quality reel.
Saltwater. Shore or pier fishing.

JasonGotaProblem

Yes. Yes. And yes. Lots of upgrades for it too
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sandbar

Jason
Are you fishing Tampa Bay or Brevard this time of year?

JasonGotaProblem

Wherever I can. It's been rough this year with the new baby. The Indian river has been kinda crappy lately so when i go east I've been doing more surf fishing. Over here it's been a lot of stopping off for a half hour on the way home from work. The hillsborough River has been active lately with snook n reds swimming upstream for the winter. What about yourself? You're in Florida right?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rancanfish on December 18, 2023, 07:04:06 PMAnybody needs a BNIB 146, mine is still for sale here. (Shameless plug).

Another shameless plug. Anyone looking for a NOS 146 Newell kit, it is now for sale here. 😁
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D