Goodbye to an old friend

Started by alantani, December 18, 2023, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

It is with deep sadness that I note the passing of one of my oldest friends.  Michael Okagaki passed away this morning after battling cancer. He leaves behind his wife, Wendy, and sons Jonathan and Kenneth. We met at church camp, Lake Sequoia Retreat, when we were early high school. We were roommates in college when he was working on his chemistry degree at SF State and I was in pharmacy school.  We were groomsmen in each other's wedding,  watched the kids grow up together, and supported each other with our battles with cancer. I beat mine, Michael,  sadly, did not. Rest in peace,  my old friend.  You will be missed.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

My condolences Alan. Nothing harder than losing friends.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Brewcrafter

So sorry for your loss, Alan. - john

Swami805

Sorry for your loss Alan, hard to lose the good ones. RIP
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

So sorry to hear Alan. Think of all the fun times you two had together. I'm glad you were able to be there for him.

Todd
Todd

Reeltyme

Sincerest condolences Alan. Remember the all the joyful moments you had the pleasure to share with him.

Randy McConnell

pjstevko

Sorry to hear you lost your friend.

Alexis and I will be keeping you and his family in our thoughts and prayers!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

jtwill98

My sincere condolences Alan for the lost of your friend.  Remember those good times you shared with him. 

Crab Pot

I know from our conversation last week that you were with him till the end.

Can't ask a friend to do anymore than that.

I know your visits lifted his spirits right up till the end so take comfort in that.

I'm sorry for your loss, I know how it feels, I was did a eulogie for my dear friend and high school buddy a few months back.

Cancer Sucks...
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

alantani

thank you, all.

i was supposed to be watching him last night, but had to bail out on that shift.  so wendy was with him all night last night when he was slipping away.  she was still there when he passed away at 7:30 this morning.

i worked in a hospital for 34 years.  we did lots of night shifts.  it's something that you never get used to, but you learn to deal with it after a point in time.  spending time overnight was really hard on wendy and the kids because they were not used to it.  wendy's brother, sister and nephew stepped up to do some nights, and so did i.  to give the family a break, i was "two on, two off" for the last week and a half.  not easy, but workable.  i came home this last friday morning after a night shift and found out that my daughter was coming down with a cold.  that meant that i could not go back in.

he was better in the day with the boys there, but delirious delirious from the night time confusion, the pain and the pain killers.  i'm not even sure that he knew who i was.  still, i'm grateful for the time i was able to spend with him. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cortez_Conversions

So sorry to hear of your friends passing Alan. My condolences to his family and yours..
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

scrinch

I'm sorry for the loss of your good friend, Alan. That was very kind of you to help out in the hospital...and responsible not to go in when you might have a virus to spread.

Donnyboat

Very sad Allan, looking forward, the festive season is almost here, may you & you loved ones have a good one & many many more, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat