Defining moments in DQ technological development?

Started by Bora, December 19, 2023, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bora

Hello all,

My mind wondered today to the following: What was the most historically significant development in the evolution of DQ spinning reels [or spinning reels more broadly]?

I figure many of you will have some cool insights on key innovations, rare models, etc and their impact on more modern fishing gear.

Thank you,

Bora

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

Look at Illingworth from the turn of the (last) century.

According to the interwebs, the first true fixed spool (spinning) reel.  Basically put a fixed spool in front of an eggbeater drill, and attach a bail where the chuck used to be, and voila! By the time Illingworth got to model 3 or so, the modern spinning reel design was pretty much complete with a drag on the front of an oscillating  spool and that long neck to the reel foot.  Just lots of hype on minor improvements and variations of skinning the same cat after that.

As manufacturing capabilities improved, some manufacturers came to the forefront.  Fred and/or Tom can correct me, but I believe that DAM Quick was unique not so much in product innovation, but rather in manufacturing quality relative to its peers.  I guess you could also give Quick credit for sticking with the simpler design choices off the menu, compared to something like a Mitchell.

There are some Illingworths on the auction site right now. Around USD $250 for a Model 3, and about ten times that for a Model 1. No idea if those are good prices.

That Model 1 really does like an eggbeater! It has "OIL ME PLEASE" engraved right onto the sideplate.  An innovation that unfortunately has fallen by the wayside :)

-J

foakes

If there was just (1) thing that stood out about the D.A.M. Quick spinning reels —- I would have to point out the Steel front to back double-supported pinion worm drive coupled with a bronze and steel main gear and steel crank axle.

This came into play after the SW68 & 250 Standards were being evolved into the Super 270 & 280 Finessa.

But frankly, I think I could write a 80 to 125 page book in a week just from experience, observation, attention to details, memory, and the never-ending forward innovation of the (7) lines of DQ reels from about '54 through '90.

This would cover design, capability, material choices, manufacturing techniques, standardization of many parts across different sized reels and series, strength and reinforcement points, aircraft-grade aluminum frames, rotors, and sideplates, plus many practical and well thought out features.

A few other high quality manufacturers have copied many of these features —- only to realize that the reels were too expensive to produce compared to the reels coming out of Asia.

DAM Quick also found this out —- and around 1990, they started a series of partnerships and ownership changes that spelled the end of the quality reels of the previous 40 years.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Barishi

From reading about the worm drive Quicks I think each generation had certain improvements in tech from the previous one. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong:

DAM Quick Finessa 280/285: Worm drive with bronze main gear on steel pinion. Anti reverse is a springloaded knob pressing into holes in the main gear. Sideplate has 4 screws.

DAM Quick Super/Microlite: dedicated oscillation gear rather than using an oscillation arm connected to the main gear

DAM Quick Super variants: 2 speed and line counter variants exist

DAM Quick Finessa 110-550: All models have plastic spools. All models save the earliest 330s have 3 screws on the sideplate. Special high speed variants like the 221 and 331 are introduced with 5:1 gear ratio

DAM Quick 110N-550N: Sideplates come with 1 screw rather than 3 screws (except the high speed 331N/441N). Anti reverse has been changed to act on the rotor rather than the main gear. Gear teeth material has been changed to phosphor bronze.

DAM Quick 1000-5000: Antireverse now acts on the pinion gear. Reels now have skirted spools. DAM Quicks 1000/1001 are an exception because their anti reverse still acts on their main gear. Gear teeth are phosphor bronze

DAM Quick 1401-5001: Drag has been upgraded to a large asbestos washer on the top of the spool and a large cork washer. Clicker gear height can be adjusted to shim the reel. The handle is no longer held in place by a screw collar, being replaced with a springloaded collar that holds the handle in place.

Can someone educate me on the Quick MDS series? Thanks.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Dave was pretty much right on the money with his Illingworth reference. Illingworth started the fixed spool development craze, but the next big improvement step was with  Hardy and the Altex. They were at least twenty years ahead of Dam Quick in design and quality. Hardy came out with the Altex in 1932. It had a full bail, which they patented. That prevented other manufacturers from using a full bail until around 1954 when the patent expired. The Altex was also worm gear driven and had a ball bearing mechanism with 6 balls sandwiched between 2 plates/washers. Anyone that has ever tried to service an Altex knows exactly how complicated and difficult to service they are.

DAM upped the quality some and also simplified the design so the reels were easier to work on, as did many other European reel makers from that time frame.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bora

Fascinating insights, as ever, gentlemen. Plenty of food for thought for me.

Happy new year, tight lines and bright waters ahead!