5 Things for the New Year, For Me to Remember

Started by foakes, December 19, 2023, 08:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The cheapest tool is the most expensive.

The most expensive tool is not always the best tool, or best value.

The most expensive tool is the one that doesn't work.

I am too poor to buy cheap tools (or too cheap to buy poor tools).

Always look for good quality used tools before buying new.

😄😄😄

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

JasonGotaProblem

The most expensive tool... Is the one you lost.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Word to the wise: Don't loan out your quality tools or sporting goods. They almost always come back screwed up or damaged.  >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bryan Young

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 19, 2023, 09:28:29 PMThe most expensive tool... Is the one you lost.
Like the 10 mm socket and 10 mm box wrench 😡😡😡
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

happyhooker

Really enjoy old quality tools that are in good shape.  Maybe it's my appreciation of history; an old tool has a lot to tell and often not much to tell it with. 

Frank

UKChris1

Well said, Fred!

I remember being told, 'Buy well, buy once' and your wise words are very much in the same vein.

It's not just good quality tools that don't get lent; no one gets to use my fountain pens or my knives, ever. (I have a cheap disposable ballpoint and a rusty chipped blade that the ill-prepared can use  ;D )

foakes

Quote from: UKChris1 on December 21, 2023, 11:55:50 AMWell said, Fred!

I remember being told, 'Buy well, buy once' and your wise words are very much in the same vein.

It's not just good quality tools that don't get lent; no one gets to use my fountain pens or my knives, ever. (I have a cheap disposable ballpoint and a rusty chipped blade that the ill-prepared can use  ;D )

Got to agree, Chris —-

When I finish a reel in the reel shop, or a project out in the other various shops —- every tool I used has a place to be returned to.  Exceptions are rare.  For me, I have determined which tools are needed & valued.  They must be at hand and not buried in a pile, or even in the back of a drawer.  For me, this is personal.

Just like when I get dressed in the morning.  My pocket knife is a Case, my comb an Ace, my pen a Parker, my wallet is an Orvis, and a fresh folded handkerchief goes in my back pocket.  Whether dressed for Church, or a trip, or to chop wood.  It is, at least to me —- part of being ready and prepped for the day.

I also lend very few tools.  And will never lend out anything that needs to be sharpened or that uses gas. Chainsaws, power saws, outboards, axes or hatchets, power tools, etc.

They either do not come back in a timely fashion —- or are dull, full of wrong or crappy fuel, fouled, out of adjustment —- and will not be ready when I need to use them.

A good tool does not have to break the bank.

It does need to be a good valued balance of reliability, long-lasting, good materials, and will be proudly valued as a part of my expression in completed jobs done right.

Duplicate tools are another issue to watch out for.

If a tool is of superior quality —- I don't need a duplicate of that tool in the same shop.  So dupes get tossed out, given away, or put out at the mailbox for others to grab for free.

About 20 minutes before Covid, the massive Creek Fire, and our record-breaking Winter —- I decided to set up a metal prep and powder-coating shop.  Got back into completing it this last year.  Nearly done.

It was surprising how expensive, even with a combination of obtaining both new and used equipment that it turned out to be.

Metal tables, paint booth, ovens, special lighting, racks, PC gun, (2) compressors, blasting cabinet, tumbler, air lines, 240V electrical with separate breaker, respiratory safety gear, powder, hangers, filters, media blast material, clean up equipment, cabinets and storage, fire extinguishers, and much more dedicated equipment.

Just the paint, various blast materials, and metal prep materials add up to quite a bit.  No wonder pros charge so much for powder-coating.

That was over (3) years ago —- and I will start practicing on projects next month.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

UKChris1

Indeed, I fished with a great skipper who used to say (well, SHOUT, actually) 'Don't put it down, put it back!' and he was right. We knew where everything was: crimper, lighter, hook file, rigging floss, etc.

Perhaps it is why most of my tools are either my father's or my grandfather's. Love using them.

Have a great Christmas eveyone.

Shark Hunter

I have a lot of Tools mostly Craftsman and do all maintenance on two trucks and 2 cars by myself.
Not very organized, but I know exactly where everything is. I don't trust any Mechanic, Nor tire stores.
I drive this 89 Silverado Weekly and it may not be pretty, but she runs like a top and hauls whatever I need to.
I buy tires online and have them mounted for $20 each. Got new rims and Tires, Lug nuts, Center caps and Valve stems for $700. The tire store would have charged more than that just for the tires and they probably would have been 2 or 3 years old. Over torqued the lug nuts and used old valve stems.

Life is Good!

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Interesting, Daron. I bought a full set of Goodyear Wrangler ATs six months ago for my '96 Silverado from Wallyworld  on sale installed, new stems, balanced w/ lifetime flat fix, balancing & rotation for $550. I couldn't get there fast enough because at the time Hankooks were $850 for a set.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

I buy cheap tools. And I don't hesitate to loan them out. I like helping people, but not so much so that I'm willing to go do the work for people.

Some don't make it back. But I'm also an idiot, and I lose my own tools sometimes. So that's reason #2 to not buy fancy.

But that's just me.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 22, 2023, 07:10:39 PMInteresting, Daron. I bought a full set of Goodyear Wrangler ATs six months ago for my '96 Silverado from Wallyworld  on sale installed, new stems, balanced w/ lifetime flat fix, balancing & rotation for $550. I couldn't get there fast enough because at the time Hankooks were $850 for a set.  :o
I bought new rims too from Summit Racing. The Tires were $75 each at Walmart. Made in March 2023.
Life is Good!

oldmanjoe

The best and most expensive tool that I have is the one that sit between my shoulders .
  I have the mind set That tools are made and designed to make a task easier .   I have no problem loaning out tools .  Most tools are found in the garbage or giving to me because the previous owner no longer needs them .

I enjoy tinkering with them to make them work , if not then i use the parts for other new designs .

I do take in the consideration that loaning tools that the operator is capable of using them with out hurting them self ,Sometime i tag along with the tool . 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare