Mitchell 402

Started by bluesnart, December 23, 2023, 06:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesnart

I have a Mitchell 402 which I just serviced...first time..worked off tutorials...first reassemble spool moved up and down...did more research and realized the dreaded pinion gear key may have not have been in proper orientation...put key in correctly wa la no movement!! But now the spool rotates a bit to tight...never having used a 402 maybe it's a characteristic of the reel...not really to bad...but wanted some input before I disassembled again...I'm thinking the lock nut that holds the rotor in place may be to tight...any thoughts
Juan

foakes

It is common for a rotor nut to be fastened down too tightly.

That is unnecessary, since there is a lock washer under the hex rotor nut —- so it just needs to be snug —- not as tight as possible.

However —- after a disassemble & service —- there could be 15 things causing a "tight" rotor spin. 

Too aggressive over-tightening, missing washers, improperly placed shield, bad bearing when tightened up becomes too much resistance, too much or improper lubrication, shim missing, and many other possibles.

My easiest way to quickly narrow down and determine the issue —- would be to remove the spool and rotor —- then see if it still spins tight.  If it still does, then it is deeper into the reel than the rotor or nut.  If it spins freely —- that narrows it to the top end of the reel.

This will save you a lot of time and frustration.

It should run smooth, spin freely, not be tight, and no slop.

It should be easy to determine the issue.

These 402's are the higher speed version of the Salt Water 302's.  They are dark blue, and have a main bearing.

The majority of these have been used in salt water for larger target species.  And salt and improper care over the years will cause excess wear that becomes manifested after the reel has been serviced and properly lubed up.  At that point, it may need a key part or two.

Very good reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluesnart

Fred
Thank you...I'll disassemble and test each section..." My easiest way to quickly narrow down and determine the issue —- would be to remove the spool and rotor —- then see if it still spins tight.  If it still does, then it is deeper into the reel than the rotor or nut.  If it spins freely —- that narrows it to the top end of the reel."
By spin freely do you mean by turning the handle and test the spin?
This is my first time with this reel, I've had it for a long time but never fished it so the wear and care pattern is a question mark...
I cleaned the bearing as best I could and don't hear any grinding but it could use a new bearing...do you have bearings for this reel...it's in pretty good shape and I think would be worth it
Juan

foakes

I'll drop a new one in the mail when we get back after Mid-week, Juan.

Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluesnart

Thank you Fred...I haven't gotten back into the reel yet but I'll probably have a better diagnosis of the stiff turning spool by then...
Does the bearing come with the plastic shield...I just need to loosen those two screws on either side to get to the bearing right?
Juan

bluesnart

Great shots of your work area and an appreciation for your extensive inventory

bluesnart

Ok...I disassembled the reel...I don't believe it's a nut issue...removed the key and the bearing seal and cleaned the bearing...still stiff turning...I believe the bearing needs replacing and the interior parts need a more thorough cleaning...possibly to much grease... in order to replace the bearing those tiny set screws need to be losened one was ok but the other would not budge!
I reassembled and the reel turns more freely... but not like I'd like... gonna remove the spool and shaft and work on the interior next...but bearing replacement may have to be put off for now
Juan

bluesnart

Can anyone recommend a "reasonably" priced set of small screw drivers...

Gfish

Just a thought, as I've only worked on one M.G. 302, check, if you haven't already, the spool shaft for straightness and also the bottom of the gear-box unit that supports the shaft as it slides up & down. You could maybe roll the shaft on a known flat glass surface.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bluesnart

I'll check the shaft...and the case for...never used a flat glass but sounds like a good way to check the shaft...thanks gfish

bluesnart

Finally got back to the Mitchell 402...
The shaft and shaft guide? seem ok...Fred is sending me the bearing...I believe that's the cause of the stiffness...although it is much better then before I cleaned up excess grease...the bearing is probably the original!
Any thoughts about how to loosen that frozen set screw...I think I should start with a good set of precision screw drivers

foakes

Quote from: bluesnart on January 09, 2024, 06:00:04 PMFinally got back to the Mitchell 402...
The shaft and shaft guide? seem ok...Fred is sending me the bearing...I believe that's the cause of the stiffness...although it is much better then before I cleaned up excess grease...the bearing is probably the original!
Any thoughts about how to loosen that frozen set screw...I think I should start with a good set of precision screw drivers

Hi Juan —-

I am finally getting back to a bit of reel work after Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and traveling.

Will send out your Mitchell 402 bearing today.

On the bearing keeper set screw —-

Most Mitchell 302/402 sized reels are seldom serviced or cleaned properly after each season.  They are salt water reels.  Most folks, if they do anything at all —- just squeeze more grease into the casing and leave the old grease, salt, and crud that builds up.

The only successful way that I have found to remove a tiny bearing set screw on these —- is to drop a little penetrating oil onto the screw, and let it set for a day, or so.  Then, scrape the slot as deeply as possible with a metal pick.  Then, using the proper and EXACT size hollow-ground screwdriver with a serious handle —- press down HARD into the slot —- and try to barely "break-free" the screw by turning it "clockwise".  Then, try to back it out counter-clockwise.

Of course, the precision of the screwdriver tip is only as good as the precision of your fasteners, but it's nice to know at least one of them is about as perfect as you can hope for.

I use gun-smith screwdrivers.

These screws are easy to goober up and ruin.  So, if salt-fused or will not come loose —- just use a tiny drill carefully —- then work out the remainder of the screw with a tiny extractor or angled pick —- without touching the threads in the frame.  Otherwise, you will need a new frame.

3 out of 4 times —- this procedure works —- and the screw just backs out.

I am dropping a new screw into the envelope with the bearing —- in case it is needed.

N/C.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluesnart

Fred
Ok I'll let all know how it goes
Note there is a fine line or large between a professional in this field and a guy,like me, who has a few reels and works on them out of a necessity to have equipment that works as intended...and the pleasure and interest in the vintage precision and workmanship in these reels...I like good tools but my budget often dictates my choices...but a good set of reasonably price screwdrivers is on my to do list
Thanks Juan
Oh yeah and sometimes just send it out to a pro and enjoy the reel like I do my DQ 1000

bluesnart

Well did my best to remove the set screw and replace the bearing but as I said when all I could do fails send it off to a pro...
Thanks for the comments...they all helped
Juan