Of some fun we had in Alaska Part 4.

Started by gstours, December 31, 2023, 12:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Part 4.   We both migrated to Alaska for adventure, and many other individual reasons.   Alaska, as all of the northwest has been tamed by many reasons..... Some have said its the last frontier.
  Now on to part 4 of my posts for you here.....   :d
eo for the Forum.     Pgs. 41-50

Friday, November 17, 2023
4:48 PM

41.       7 min.  Ken on the Maiko again gets another nice halibut to take home.   We were fishing bait rigs anchored for the morning.  After the tide change the current started running harder in the bay we were fishing in.   This must have sparked the fish up in feeding and we got this one .    Always fun,  and you never know whats going to happen.    That's fishing.

42    -     
        approx. 22 min.    Fishing halibuts on the Sea Star with Ken.   We anchor his boat on a slope where two islands have a slough evident at low tide.   We nicknamed it "Secret Creek".
  Its just along side two islands in a fairly large body of water that feeds a large bay.
     We are using jigs with herring and pink salmon parts for bait jigging at the sea floor.
         The first fish I got on was nice sized as shown taken using a Daves Replica jig that was cast and painted at home... on an Okuma Cedros rod that I had spiral wrapped.
  Next Ken hooks a really large halibut and was fun to watch him deal with it.  We try several times to release it and remain in custody of his jig.  He favored the Kodiak Jig in matte black,  used a Penn fathom 40n11 and his rod shown here is a Rainshadow blank that I built for his design.         Watch for his smile.     Ken was my first choice always for a fishing partner.    Life is short Fish Hard........

43.   https://youtu.be/tKTszIFs_jc?si=bERlSyWSctBi6jqF       3 sec.   A very short fun clip of the previously used spiral wrap rod in actual use.   Its always a good idea to test the stuff you have created.    Ken did not approve of these modifications,  Butt I did........

-    6.5 min,  an action packed few mins jigging for halibuts on the Maiko.  We anchored in a stretch of water along the side of a bay where the incoming tide water gets backed in against itself about 160 feet deep.  Ken gets a fish and we keep it,  then I found one to bite Famous Daves Flatfall jig.
  Follow the fun we had.   Perfect weather and good company.........

2.6 min.  Ken makes quick work of securing a halibut alongside the Maiko.   Ken was always a great deckhand type of fisherperson.  Dropping what he was doing and lending a hand tirelessly was his way of appreciating life.   Without his help,  I,m going to have to adjust and suck it up,   He was the Best......

6 min.
   On a flat calm afternoon Ken and myself were thinking of going home to process our catch.   Dummy me decides to drop an already baited jig  gifted and then rigged from Famous Daves of California.    Wham a good halibut sucked it in and then we stayed a bit more.   Always fun to make just one more drop.......A great way to be late for dinner.   Last Drop!

4 min.   This clip was labeled First Drop for its an accurate way to show what happened on morning on a Ken n I trip to a possible halibut haunt I,d found on a chart of nearby inside waters of Icy Straits.   Ken assists in securing the fish that was shown gobbling on a clone P-Line jig of 14 ounces.   First drop, get it right..........

9.3 min.   Ken fishes halibuts using just 2 hooks w bait while my jigs are just an exercize...... Here in this clip he picks up two nice fish to take home.... Every day is different when your fishing......
 Its been said you don,t know if you don,t go.........

49.   -    4.7 min.     Some shaky footage while fishing halibuts on the Sea Star with Ken.    A headcam is not a replacement for a dedicated camera person,  butt its maybe better than missing most of what actually happened in a still picture,  sometimes we get busy.....   Here,s a homade dehooker shown in use and a missed fish Ken had on for a little while,  while we were busy.......  That's Fishing.....

50.   -   3.5 min.
   Some footage of halibut fishing with Ken on my clunker boat.   Flat calm morning and some jig action.   Rope threader in use and the modified harpoon head with paralel wings improvement.

alantani

do you put drag numbers along the top of the right side plate?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

Great fun to watch.   For most folk, any one of those is the fishing trip of a lifetime. You got 50 in just these videos!

It will be different out there without your best partner, but I hope to see a few more trip videos in the coming year.

-J

gstours

Brief replies,  first to Alans drag numerals question.   Yes I do make a graduated scale usually with a label maker, as I might want a reference quickly on the right side top sideplate.   Butt I always test the reels preset knob and mark it with a red fingernail polish as well, as this can get moved by accident and it  insures the drag lever numerals to be unchanged.   To my fishery its the jig reels that this the most as things can happen fast......... :fish     Thanks for your Site here.    gst.

Mr. J.   As I crawl back to be on this Forum it became apparent that some of our adventures might tell a better story that has been captured on video.    I have annoyed many passengers i,m sure by asking them to fetch the cam that is usually an armsreach in the cabin as I didnt think I had time....  Maybe this was selfish?  Butt a memory or event lost is is just that.   Butt now much of what Ken,s successes and scenery is being a dedicated post here in the Northwest Section of Alans Great Forum.....
    Thanks for the encouragement and kind words.  As for the addition of more content,  we are just getting started.