Penn 113's

Started by pijon, March 11, 2012, 12:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pijon

I have just finished replacing the bearings in one of my 113's. These are the half frame reels and not very old. I was getting a stuttering effect when turning the handle.
The problem is I have been using this reel for halibut and using the bearing adjust knob to put tension on the spool to prevent a backlash. I have learned that is a bad thing to do. New bearings and the reel is a smooth as new.

I have noticed some penn 113's on ebay with accurate frames. Seems like they should sell for more than they do. Is the frame interchangable from right hand to left hand retrieve as long as you have the reel to start with. I have 4 left hand 113's. Just wondering if I could but one of these right handed accurate frames and swap parts with my left reels?

john2244

My first thought is, it should not be a problem.

Maxed Out

Yep, just the frame itself will work for right or left hand retrieve. Not sure about the accurate sideplates being interchangeable, but I would think not.

Buyer beware on a used one. If the person who originally put it together did not put an antisieze or grease on the sideplate screw threads, then there is a chance that the screws will be stuck in the frame from corrosion caused by dis-similar metals. Jvariance makes basically a direct copy of accurate frame and you can get a brand new one for $60 + $5 shipping. Make sure you grease all the screws during assembly. BTW, Jvariance is on EBAY as well, but only has the narrow kits offered there. To find the standard width frame you need to go directly to www.jvariance.com
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

day0ne

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 11, 2012, 01:43:53 AM
Yep, just the frame itself will work for right or left hand retrieve. Not sure about the accurate sideplates being interchangeable, but I would think not.

Buyer beware on a used one. If the person who originally put it together did not put an antisieze or grease on the sideplate screw threads, then there is a chance that the screws will be stuck in the frame from corrosion caused by dis-similar metals. Jvariance makes basically a direct copy of accurate frame and you can get a brand new one for $60 + $5 shipping. Make sure you grease all the screws during assembly. BTW, Jvariance is on EBAY as well, but only has the narrow kits offered there. To find the standard width frame you need to go directly to www.jvariance.com

The Jvariance side plates are interchangable, right or left. I believe the Accurate plates are too, since, as near as I can tell, the Jvariance stuff is an exact copy of the Accurate parts. Maybe they bought Accurate's rights or something. I would think the frame would be cheaper than that, since I only paid $80 or $85 for my standard frame and sideplates. Though I prefer the Tiburon topless frame, I am very happy with the Jvariance parts, except for a few things that apply to the sideplates. I've had a problem with the s.s.click spring they provide (the Penn one works fine) and I always have to spend about 30 - 45 minutes sanding down the nylon washer they provide that goes under the click button. It is too thick to get the C clip on correctly
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

pijon

After looking those new frames over and reading the post about 113/tank I want one. Can't justify the expense as I don't fish for tuna larger than albacore. Collecting reels is a bad habit. But I want one anyway. Maybe next winter.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: pijon on March 12, 2012, 03:43:49 AM
After looking those new frames over and reading the post about 113/tank I want one. Can't justify the expense as I don't fish for tuna larger than albacore. Collecting reels is a bad habit. But I want one anyway. Maybe next winter.

Yep, you're hooked bad.  ;D ;D  Welcome to the crowd.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

did these reels start out as red 113h's or black 113's?  there are stainless steel gear sleeves for both, but the plain black 113 seriously needs one.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broschro

Quote from: day0ne on March 11, 2012, 05:44:01 AM
Quote from: Max Doubt on March 11, 2012, 01:43:53 AM

So far no problems with mine, I love em.

The Jvariance side plates are interchangable, right or left. I believe the Accurate plates are too, since, as near as I can tell, the Jvariance stuff is an exact copy of the Accurate parts. Maybe they bought Accurate's rights or something. I would think the frame would be cheaper than that, since I only paid $80 or $85 for my standard frame and sideplates. Though I prefer the Tiburon topless frame, I am very happy with the Jvariance parts, except for a few things that apply to the sideplates. I've had a problem with the s.s.click spring they provide (the Penn one works fine) and I always have to spend about 30 - 45 minutes sanding down the nylon washer they provide that goes under the click button. It is too thick to get the C clip on correctly

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 16, 2012, 03:05:41 PM
did these reels start out as red 113h's or black 113's?  there are stainless steel gear sleeves for both, but the plain black 113 seriously needs one.  alan

I think he was working on red 113Hs but didn't say in his Ifish post.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pijon

My 113's are all red ones.  They are not very old.

Alto Mare

Quote from: broschro on March 16, 2012, 03:06:45 PM
I've had a problem with the s.s.click spring they provide (the Penn one works fine) and I always have to spend about 30 - 45 minutes sanding down the nylon washer they provide that goes under the click button. It is too thick to get the C clip on correctly
[/quote]
I just used a different teflon washer by the clicker. You're right, it is a good product at a reasonable price, I've done a couple of dozen of these conversions, a few years back and sold them all. I don't know how many you have done, but I'm pretty sure that you will run into a small problem with the spool rubbing on the right side. These kits have a tight tolerance, but It is an easy fix.  Also, make sure that you coat the inside of the plates nicely, they're salt magnets....but I still like them.  Jeff is a great person to deal with.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pijon

ACCURATE 4:1 GEARS FOR PENN 4/0 NEW, 113

I was watching a set of these on Ebay. They sold for 132 dollars. It looks like when somebody wants to build it as best as it can be than money is no issue.

seaeagle2

I just won a used accurate set, and I was the only bidder. I also lucked out a while ago and got a 113h that just said used 113h and had one picture, it was a newell narrow frame and spool with 4:1 gears, I got it for something like 67.00
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson