Quick 700 won't get into gear

Started by Barishi, January 03, 2024, 10:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barishi

Took it apart for a cleaning and service, now it seems that the pinion is always pushed away from the spool whem i try to get the reel in gear. Any suggestions as to what the problem is?
20240103_152853.jpg

Gfish

Not familiar with DAM baitcasters. Didja reassemble everything, including with the spool-shaft going through the pinion? The kick lever(that rectangular part with 2 springs attached on either side)should pushing the yoke/pinion up away from the main gear. There should be a cog on or near the main gear that pushes on the kick lever when the handle is turned and then it should go back in gear.
Then again, I could be way-off on anything or all of it...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sandbar

I haven't opened one up yet, but when I back off the Star drag all the way the reel doesn't turn when I crank the handle.

sandbar

I assume that the free spool button is not engaged.

JasonGotaProblem

There's a switch that prevents it accidentally dropping into gear on a cast that's kinda fiddly. Flip that back and forth while assembled and try turning the handle see if it changes.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Barishi

The reel is back together and works now...

You know how most multiplier style reels use coil springs to press against the yoke? This one uses a torsion spring, similar to the kind spinning reels use for their bails.

torsion-spring.jpg

I misplaced the spring by not putting it under pressure when putting it in. This youtube video shows how annoying fitting this spring is, from 16:00-17:30.

https://youtu.be/Du6dO2_TFKc?si=MbLuqrfXdRM38VWn

I have never touched a round baitcaster in my life before this one. I think the ambassadeurs use this system too?

jurelometer

Most round baitcasters are quite similar in design for a given set of features. Abu will fall into this common design category.

However, this Quick design is quite different and remarkably simple. I find it impressive.  It is usually much harder to design a simple solution than a complex one. 

It also has a freespool lock switch to keep from accidentally going into gear during a cast, which is not common.

-J

sandbar

Quote from: Barishi on January 13, 2024, 04:56:00 AMThe reel is back together and works now...

You know how most multiplier style reels use coil springs to press against the yoke? This one uses a torsion spring, similar to the kind spinning reels use for their bails.

torsion-spring.jpg

I misplaced the spring by not putting it under pressure when putting it in. This youtube video shows how annoying fitting this spring is, from 16:00-17:30.

https://youtu.be/Du6dO2_TFKc?si=MbLuqrfXdRM38VWn

I have never touched a round baitcaster in my life before this one. I think the ambassadeurs use this system too?

Excellent Job Barishi!
Thank you for sharing the Youtube video.
That will be very helpful for many of us.
I still have not opened mine up for servicing. The video shows it all.

-Steve

foakes

Quote from: jurelometer on January 13, 2024, 09:03:00 PMMost round baitcasters are quite similar in design for a given set of features. Abu will fall into this common design category.

However, this Quick design is quite different and remarkably simple. I find it impressive.  It is usually much harder to design a simple solution than a complex one. 

It also has a freespool lock switch to keep from accidentally going into gear during a cast, which is not common.

-J

Dave is right on these little DAM Quick Champion baitcasters.

Over the top material selection, simple & bulletproof design, tough as they come.

Very few folks know about these reels.

The only thing missing on these is —- the plastics.  Aluminum, bronze, steel, HD springs, etc.

These normally just need a cleaning if used regularly —- perhaps every 3 years.

Even the torsion/tension spring the guy had trouble with is only a 30 second install —- once you know the trick.

I might have the only selection of new parts for these that I know of.  And plenty of parts reels when I bought out the West Coast Authorized Repair & Warranty Center.

These are a real pleasure to fish.

They made a 600, 700, and 800 —- different spool widths from narrow to wide. 

The "B" badging means it has (2) ball bearings —- and the reels are silver.

Without the "B" —- there are HD bushings, which some folks prefer over bearings.  These are black reels.

These are lifetime reels, and not very expensive. 

Made in Germany.

According to one of my private European sources —- DQ poached a couple of the ABU engineers —- and this was their dream design for a high quality and durable baitcaster.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Thanks Fred.
Amazing parts inventory.
Can you share the trick on reinstalling the tension spring?
I will be doing a full restore on a 700B in the near future and I want to take everything apart per the Foakes reel restoration standard.
Your trick may save me and others much frustration.
-Steve

Barishi

Quote from: sandbar on January 13, 2024, 11:13:46 PMThanks Fred.
Amazing parts inventory.
Can you share the trick on reinstalling the tension spring?
I will be doing a full restore on a 700B in the near future and I want to take everything apart per the Foakes reel restoration standard.
Your trick may save me and others much frustration.
-Steve

Here's what worked for me:

Screenshot_20240114_074814.jpg

Credit to YoungMartin'sReels (the maker of the video I sent) for the image: I'm lazy to disassemble mine again

The blue arrow points to the yoke arm, the yellow arrow to the spring, and the red arrow to the pin that holds it all together.

First, I placed the spring in the yoke arm. Then, I tried to install them into the brass housing together. Using my thumb and index finger, I pinched both sides of the brass housing to make sure the spring did not fly out.

I fiddled a bit with my fingers to make sure the holes in the yoke aligned with those in the housing. I then inserted the pin into the yoke and (at least partially) into the spring. So long as the pin goes through the spring, it can no longer escape. It's a matter of pushing the pin all the way through to finish the installation.

This is easier said than done, but even with my fat fingers I managed to reset the spring in 2 minutes or so. Mostly because I have poor hand eye coordination.

foakes

Yes, just like Dillon shows us above.

Thanks, Barishi!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Barishi

Quote from: foakes on January 14, 2024, 12:05:14 AMYes, just like Dillon shows us above.

Thanks, Barishi!

Best, Fred

Fred, have you ever fished these? How much of the Ambassadeur's parts fit inside this reel? I heard the gears are interchangable. If they are, I might start looking at custom parts a little more

20240114_080534.jpg

Here's mine, assembled and loaded with line ready to fish. Quite literally fits in the palm. The freespool lock, however, is nowhere to be seen.

foakes

I think a lot of parts are interchangeable —- but I don't know for sure.

Check it out and let us know!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jurelometer

Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2024, 10:49:49 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on January 13, 2024, 09:03:00 PMMost round baitcasters are quite similar in design for a given set of features. Abu will fall into this common design category.

-J

Dave is right on these little DAM Quick Champion baitcasters.

To be clear, I don't to want to imply that I am recommending these reels.  i never touched one.  I just admire the simple clean design.  Any chunk of machinery is no better than its weakest link. Can't be certain from just the schematic and some photos.

But Fred likes them, and he has surely seen quite a few come in for maintenance over the years.

-J