Uneven line lay on Zebco Cardinal 3 spool

Started by Samspinning, January 06, 2024, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samspinning

I put the 6lb line on the Zebco Cardinal 3 but after fishing for a while it seems to gather at the base of the spool. What is the fix for this? Thanks to all!

oldmanjoe

Look for a thin shim under the spool to remove .  That will move the line up .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 06, 2024, 10:06:39 PMLook for a thin shim under the spool to remove .  That will move the line up .

There are no shims on these pop off Cardinal spools that can be added or removed.

Either the bail arm is worn where it rests on the bail trip lever, or the bail trip lever is bent down outside the rotor where the bail arm rests on it. That's an easy fix, at least for awhile until you get a new trip lever. Or the block on the connecting link/oscillation arm is worn and there is slack & movement there. Push and pull on the spool to see if you have movement in & out. If so there is probably play in the oscillation arm & block. You might need to move the small washer from in front of the block to behind it, or maybe even add an extra washer to move the main shaft forward or backward a little. The type of line you are using may make a difference, too.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)