ABUMATIC 170 Owner's Manual

Started by sandbar, January 08, 2024, 07:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I read that these were made from 1965 to 1982.
This manual is dated 1966.
Thought this may be helpful to some folks out there.
Are these quality reels?

sandbar

Here it is in PDF format.

DougK

thanks for the manual, always like to look through those.

those earlier Abumatics are the best spincasters ever made.. double pickup pins, both of them stainless, and a rotor of steel hard enough to last. I've thrown away a lot of other spincasters with grooves in the pickup pin or the rotor, after not much use.

I have two of the Abumatic 120s, very similar engineering but a lot easier to find than the 170.
Would kinda like a 170 but I'm too cheap to pay the prices they go for these days..

JasonGotaProblem

The only problem with them is this is what you start to look like when you use one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sandbar

Quote from: DougK on January 08, 2024, 11:16:03 PMthanks for the manual, always like to look through those.

those earlier Abumatics are the best spincasters ever made.. double pickup pins, both of them stainless, and a rotor of steel hard enough to last. I've thrown away a lot of other spincasters with grooves in the pickup pin or the rotor, after not much use.

I have two of the Abumatic 120s, very similar engineering but a lot easier to find than the 170.
Would kinda like a 170 but I'm too cheap to pay the prices they go for these days..

You're welcome Doug.
Thank you for your input.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy one. I've never used this type of reel.
-Steve

sandbar

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 09, 2024, 12:56:41 AMThe only problem with them is this is what you start to look like when you use one.

The standard 1966 look.

BocaSnook1

Thanks again sandbar.  I do not have this reel but my friend and his grandchildren have two or three of them in Minnesota.

Have a great week!

Tad

Gfish

That guy looks better'n I do!
Like DougK, I have a 120. I like the drag. It's coin adjustable for range, then you get about 100 degrees to reverse the handle and loosen the drag quickly in case the fish runs. IMO, very well made spincasters. There seems to be a-lot of 'em for sale on eBay(170's).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sandbar

Quote from: BocaSnook1 on January 09, 2024, 03:23:26 AMThanks again sandbar.  I do not have this reel but my friend and his grandchildren have two or three of them in Minnesota.

Have a great week!

Tad

You are welcome,Tad.
I enjoy sharing the information I have acquired.

sandbar

Quote from: Gfish on January 09, 2024, 03:10:34 PMThat guy looks better'n I do!
Like DougK, I have a 120. I like the drag. It's coin adjustable for range, then you get about 100 degrees to reverse the handle and loosen the drag quickly in case the fish runs. IMO, very well made spincasters. There seems to be a-lot of 'em for sale on eBay(170's).

Hi Gfish.
Just in case you don't have the manual. Here it is.

I'm probably going to try one of these type reels some day. Gotta gather information first.
I appreciate your input.
-Steve

Gfish

Thanks, Sandbar. As a matter of fact, I don't have the schematic, but do have the box.
 I thought all us Scandinavian's were clean-living, boy-scout types, but I bought it off a Finnlander as new in box. Unscrewed the cover and it had old line on it and slight wear on the pin. He didn't even check the most obvious sign of being used, or maybe didn't care. Back and forth between us, and eventually he agreed to send me a manual, never heard from him since...
Again, thanks buddy, I will copy this one.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

DougK

thanks sandbar for the 120 manual.. I have a schematic and couple screenshots, did not have the manual.

as per Jason's post above - I see the 120 makes you younger..

;D

sandbar

Quote from: DougK on January 10, 2024, 06:28:52 PMthanks sandbar for the 120 manual.. I have a schematic and couple screenshots, did not have the manual.

as per Jason's post above - I see the 120 makes you younger..

;D

I noticed that also.

ABUMATIC Magic?

JasonGotaProblem

Well the 120 is clearly for kids. That 170: serious business.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

I have an Abu 290 that my dad bought in 74'.He & my uncle picked the same combo matched with an eagle claw rods,for a family vacation. My cousin and I still have them,great reels!