Side cutting pliers.

Started by gstours, January 09, 2024, 04:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since I posted that the craftsman compound action pliers were the best I had tested for cutting more difficult materials so far.
  Well in my testing there is an even better option pliers available for you.
      My picture shows that these are not equal in length,  butt they are.  8 inches.
I've found these Gearwrench cutters available and reasonably priced.  These cut even better than the craftsman cutters, pictures 3-4 especially in the tips, for flush cutting.
  The Gearwrench brand has the compound action mechanism on both sides pictures 5-6 and the craftsman only uses one side to actuate the blades.
  These may add to the strength and ease of my findings?    These work better for me than the knipex or Klein both of which are more expensive.     Just saying.
   All comments welcome 🤗

gstours

Sorry,  here is the picture of both pliers, they are equal in length.   🎣😉

Gobi King

Gary,
what is the hardness of the cutting edge?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

MarkT

The angled slot in the gear wrench may increase the leverage and cutting ability.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Interesting. I'll have to look Up those cutters.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Gaaarrrrryyy! What's up buddy? Good side-cutters are a great tool and can be used for many things. Where does one find the Gearwrench brand?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gfish on January 10, 2024, 02:30:22 PMGaaarrrrryyy! What's up buddy? Good side-cutters are a great tool and can be used for many things. Where does one find the Gearwrench brand?
Amazon has them.

GEARWRENCH PivotForce™ Diagonal Cutting Compound Action Pliers, 8" - 82120 https://a.co/d/gnTQNEE

GEARWRENCH 2 Pc. 8" PivotForce™ Compound Action Plier Set - 82124 https://a.co/d/5GpVWKP
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Thanks, Gary —-

For sharing this!

There are a few certain members on our site —- that when they make a recommendation —- I just do it, no additional information is necessary.

Found this set at Home Depot online for $33+, free shipping to my home.

When checking out, they reminded me that I had a $25 bonus that I could apply to this order, since I had purchased $2519 worth of merchandise last year.

So with this little perk, plus free shipping, spent $12.87 for (2) great tools.

For those of you who may not know —- Gearwrench is a top quality line of tools used by many professional mechanics.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cor

I bought this after an incident then never needed it again.  Always carry it in my boat bag.  It will cut any hook I am likely to use.IMG_1652.JPG
Cornelis

foakes

I bought this after an incident then never needed it again.  Always carry it in my boat bag.  It will cut any hook I am likely to use.

Yes, Cor —-

Those are the best I have found for cutting fencing, chain link fencing, bolts, large hooks, nails, or cables.

Those are always in my go-bag.

When something needs to be cut quickly —- with no half-way cuts —- these are the best.

Fire Department Rescue gear, offshore fishing, surf-fishing, carpentry, etc..

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Yes, the Knipex CoBolt cutters are great!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

gstours

Reply:  Thanks for not beating me too bad.   We all have favorite cookware in the kitchen and this comes from your needs, moneys available and eventual experience.  Generally you get what you pay for.  Many times a person can be persuaded by advertising and pricing.     That said.......Sidecutting pliers..

Mr. Gobi K.   I have no knowledge of the hardness of either of these cutters.  Butt im sure it could be given.  I,m more interested in, ease of use, lack of deformation of the cutting edges, and eventual longevity to justify the price. 

Mr. Gfish..  These pliers are available from amazon and e bay on the internet, generally with free shipping. This was my supplier,  a good deal....

Mr. Foakes.  The combo cutter/pliers set is available from the venders mentioned above,  This is a new topic of why a person would need these somewhat specialty needlenose pliers.  Maybe you can take the lead here and do an evaluation here?  I,m not shoveling snow now. 

foakes

Quote from: gstours on January 11, 2024, 12:25:34 AMMr. Foakes.  The combo cutter/pliers set is available from the venders mentioned above,  This is a new topic of why a person would need these somewhat specialty needlenose pliers.  Maybe you can take the lead here and do an evaluation here?  I,m not shoveling snow now.

Hi Gary —-

I am not sure until I try them out —- but they look like they would be handy when doing electrical work in a house, shop, or barn.  Also for doing wiring work under vehicles.

Because they seem to have the structure, action, and backbone to pull wire, make "U"s quickly in wire for screws, and cut wire ends to length or trim —- using only this tool and a screwdriver.  Instead of an extra pair of dykes also.

When making up receptacle boxes —- this could work pretty well.

There are probably many other uses.  Time will tell.

Anyway, I had to use up my $25 Home Depot Credit before it went away on the 19th of this month.

I have a lot of Knipex, some Snap-On, and other types of pliers —- but thought these looked pretty good.  And a good value.

Best, Fred

https://youtu.be/O9xq4fypAqc?si=DN7f8KiqsyW1UxUu

--------

Fred O.