Penn Fathom II and Abu Beast comparison

Started by Lunker Larry, January 10, 2024, 08:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

A while back I had just finished servicing a Abu Revo Toro Beast and moved on to a Penn Fathom II.
I started stripping the Penn and stopped. I thought, didn't I just do this reel. What's going on?
What I saw was the Penn is 99% the same reel as the Beast except it did not have a power handle, only one worm shaft bearing and the front shield design was different. That and cosmetic stuff. Even the Beast drag which was new and unique when it first came out is the same. Also a part I ordered for the Penn had the same part number as for the Beast. Where I live this reel is $100 cheaper than the Beast. Finding this out was new to me.The Beast was totally stripped down in the photo as I had to replace the frame.
Here's a few pics (yeah I know, not the best but it was an after thought) The Penn has the gold on it.
Penn Abu comparison 1.jpgPenn Abu comparison 5.JPGPenn Abu comparison 2.JPGPenn Abu comparison 3.JPGPenn Abu comparison 4.JPG
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

JasonGotaProblem

That "power handle" is aftermarket.

Arent both owned by pure fishing?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Lunker Larry

I think the Beast comes with the power handle and paddle.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

MarkT

When Penn came out with it I thought it was basically a rebranded Abu... I guess it is!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ExcessiveAngler

Pure fishing at its finest lol!
Almost every manufacturer rebrands their reels with different names now.
They(PF)even bought the rights to the All-Star fishing rod company, and are now releasing All-Star rods again, hoping that using that name, will just help the rods takeoff again, like they did in the past!
Look at the original, what's called the squall line here in the US. But over in the UK, they have different colors and it's called the Mag1, Mag2, Mag3, etc.
Not surprised at all.
Actually, glad you did that comparison, because I was considering one of those Abu Beast reels, from some of the videos and reviews here!

MarkT

THe Penn Squalls are basically the old Penn GS reels... the 525 Mag is still one of my favorites. Look what Penn did with the Sabre name! Seeker bought the Sabre mandrels and came out with their Classic line!

Keta

Penn and ABU are both owned by Pure Fishing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Quote from: Keta on January 11, 2024, 12:16:40 AMPenn and ABU are both owned by Pure Fishing.
Who is into brand "management". Yeah, it's like Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, Chevy/Pontac/Olds/Buick/Cadillac/GMC, Toyota/Lexus, etc.

Gfish

A wow, they do look very much alike. I have the R.T.Beast, several years ago when I bought it, it came with 3 different handles. Does the Fathom II have centrifical  cast control along with the mag system like the R.T.B.?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Gfish on January 11, 2024, 06:01:14 AMA wow, they do look very much alike. I have the R.T.Beast, several years ago when I bought it, it came with 3 different handles. Does the Fathom II have centrifical  cast control along with the mag system like the R.T.B.?

Yep

steelfish

thanks Larry for the detailed comparo and explanation about being the same model with different names, I noticed that since Penn showed up the fathom and Squall low profile reels, the fathom low profile seemed to be the same reel but now with your pictures and comments there are not doubt about it, not a bad since I already own the Toro Beast and getting parts from Penn (mystic) is really easy.
The Baja Guy