Of some we had in Alaska part 5.

Started by gstours, January 13, 2024, 12:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As promised in this series of our fishing video, part 5 is linked below. 
 for the Forum.  #51-60..

Ver similar clip to a pervious one listed here.  A salmon troll spoon with a hootchy is used for an upper teaser and shown here.   Noteworthy is the dark spots of varigated markings evident on the whiteside tail.  The jig here is a copy of a 14 oz P-line jig that I cast and painted.   Ken is my helper here as we have a fun day on the water on his boat.

13 min.  After watching the weather to improve it was decided to use the Maiko moored in a cove to sneak out and try some fishing.  As my friend Kens health was ailing,  he had his bad days and we could not be of much help.  So another friend wanted to go almost as much......  Here,,s a clip of what happened on this day.....My plan was to jig for halibut,  its more work than bait fishing,  more stand up.
  As my legs were pretty good we tried a couple of spots,  not anything good.  So I moved to a deeper slope on the way home as the tide was deminishing.   Here,s the lucky result.   Crazy action,  butt we got the fish for my buddy and he needed it as he wasn't really fishing much as his doctors said,  like they do..... No Heavy Lifting..........

53.   -  3.5 min.  A short clip of donning a headmount camera when fishing with Ken in an area that was mystified by some locals as to the exact area...... Secret Creek was penned after a person I watched bring in some better than my sport catch for quite a while.   The tide started running in this channel so the fishing time is short.   We were anchred on a slope of 145 ft-   the bottom is 350ft.  Ken hooks up on a Mother Fish and it was fun to fight and release,   too where all mothers go,  back to the gulf after spawning during the summer in the calmer and more fertile waters for the eggs, and lil babys to grow.   It's a great fishery and needs protection for the sport fisherman to enjoy.........

11 min.
   of fun of course!   Here,s a classic example of what could happen when you take your chances.......We were jigging the bottom for a halibut on Kens boat ant the incoming tide was increasing in velocity,  not wanting to quit we took our chances and the dynamics of a flood tide started the fish to feed.  We get a fish on each side of the boat.   The larger one was on Kens Kodiak jig and he was able to release the fish and get his precious jig back.  Its always a gamble of how the day might end up.  Butt always fun.........

https://youtu.be/DlQUo3GTjvM?si=cDmRJ326BreztJ8Z    17.5 min.  Yours truly wanted to test some baywater with a Daves computer generated jig using his 3d printer to produce the/this master/the approx 12 oz has been a good one and a heavier version would be great to try.    Ken was the captain on this adventure.   We anchored his 28 ft Sea Star on a slope as usual thinking of some cruisers coming up along the shoreline seeking more food.   Here,s the vidcam on my head.   Ken was always a great helper and loved fishing,  He even would want you to share in our experience.    Always fun.......

-   5.3 min....
The clip here is showing my then favorite jig rod pulling a jig that Dave here made a master for. His help in silicone mold building and casting lead is very much appreciated...... here the legs/tentacles of the real to life almost are made by pouring some ov the Max 60 Silicone onto a sheet of plastic and trying to sorta copy the twin tail and slight j shaped design idea to make the tentacles......   Its shown here ,  it make me smile,   It worked,  the color is sorta a octopus color in my mind.   Made some dinners of Halibut.     

https://youtu.be/bhTRymTFuKE?si=4YNSUwOcMqmUd6N8
  7.4 min.....   Ken fishing bait hooks up on a large halibut on the Maiko during a slack tide sunny day in SE Alaska.  The fish becomes tired and we get it up,  as it's a large female breeder we decide to release it.   Although its very decile its powerful and well over 200 pounds.   We try again after she got disturbed  and sounded for more fun.   This time we got lucky and dangerously the Big river hook bent slightly and slid out........
  Wish you were there.   Glad to get what I got to share.....,   As always just go.    Have fun.

58.    --   4.7 min....     4.5 min.    Southeast Sunny.   A fun day we had togather fishing for halibuts.   Through time we always challenged each other to see what would take the better fish.  Improving some our deck tools was another topic of conversation when we would sit watching the clock.  In our fishery the tide was always changing, about every 6 hours the water flow would reverse.  This changing could also be a topic for changing gear or not......   Here Ken decides to film a little for you.   Always fun to race the clock and win a little bit!

59.      4.5 min.
  Ken takes a ride up bay in the winter a while ago in search of a King salmon.  We have sunny calm weather in this cove trolling along the shoreline.  We get a nice feeder King on a plastic plug called the King Kandy.   When Ken was along I always wanted to be my best,  He was a very good net man as shown here.....   This might be a repeat video?   Butt, always wish you were there.......

60.     20 sec....   Just a blip.   When we could get together it was always fun, sometimes worthwhile.   Ken gets his first King salmon trolling on the Maiko.  There was no time to grab a camera nor donn....   This clip is short and sweet with a smile for you from my friend....  This makes driving home more fun....  Thanks for watching.....