For All Kalifornia Boaters Part II

Started by Crab Pot, January 13, 2024, 08:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

FYSA:

So I went to pay my boat registration and beware if you fish fresh water.

If you do not have a Muscle Tag on your boat, $16.00, and you get caught it's a $1000.00 fine.

Not required for saltwater.

Thanks,

Steve

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

Did Ben Dover take over California and hire Ann Takeit to enforce the shakedown?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I'm trying to figure out what's your point Steve?

Mussel tags are not required for salt water because these mussels are freshwater mussels and instantly die when exposed to saltwater. The damage that these muscles have on our freshwater system is extremely hazardous to our ecosystem and therefore is required to have some type of fee to help cover the amount of work necessary to clean up the mussel problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crab Pot

Bryan,

That is what I'm trying to point out.

"If you have a boat and fish in fresh water, without a mussel a tag" you are now subject to a $1000 fine.

I agree the fresh water mussels are a problem.

Thanks,

Steve 

Bryan Young

Quote from: Crab Pot on January 14, 2024, 05:48:47 AMBryan,

That is what I'm trying to point out.

"If you have a boat and fish in fresh water, without a mussel a tag" you are now subject to a $1000 fine.

I agree the fresh water mussels are a problem.

Thanks,

Steve 

My "DUUUUUH" moment.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brewcrafter

Side note on many SoCal lakes:
1.  Prior to launching you will have to pass a visual inspection making sure your boat is clean and DRY.
2.  Having the sticker is usually part of the inspection.
3.  After a day on the water, they will "seal" (put a serial# wire seal) on your boat if you ask.  After that if the seal is intact they know that the boat has not been launched elsewhere so you skip the inspection and go straight to the ramp.
4.  Different bodies of water recognize and honor the seals from other lakes, depending on what water system they are on.  For example water from Silverwood goes to Perris and Skinner, so they all have the same color tag.
5.  Lakes that don't share water (Big Bear for example) won't recognize other lake seals and will require an inspection.
- john

Crab Pot

Tahoe does the same thing with the tongue tag.

During your initial inspection they steam clean your boat!

Steve

JasonGotaProblem

Re: the mussels it's actually pretty awesome that they're doing all of that. Invasive species suck.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Crab Pot

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 15, 2024, 04:20:55 AMRe: the mussels it's actually pretty awesome that they're doing all of that. Invasive species suck.

It is, I know you guys in Florida know a thing or two about invasive species.

However our muscles are up and down the aqueduct, pretty much Yuba City to LA, and unfortunately until they figure out how to get them out this will be an ongoing problem for us.