My adventure in soldering rings.....

Started by pjstevko, January 15, 2024, 04:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Ok it's been a while since I've asked a really dumb question. Time to reset that clock. Sorry to use this thread.

Do people also solder these types of rings? In my mind that seems like it would be really strong. Am I crazy here?

PJ it's been awesome watching you aquire this new skill. Scarily it's leading me to wonder if I can learn this sorcery.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pjstevko

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 08, 2024, 04:20:11 AMOk it's been a while since I've asked a really dumb question. Time to reset that clock. Sorry to use this thread.

Do people also solder these types of rings? In my mind that seems like it would be really strong. Am I crazy here?

PJ it's been awesome watching you aquire this new skill. Scarily it's leading me to wonder if I can learn this sorcery.

There's no need to solder a split ring because you can buy extra strong split rings. But you can solder a ring to that hook and lure...

I appreciate your kind words but it's not too hard to learn. Just take a little practice

Bryan Young

@JasonGotaProblem ive soldered split rings before. It depends on the size of the lure and what I'm fishing for. For small game like trout, no but for Bluefin Tuna, I've soldered split rings for the added assurance that the spit ring will not separate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

Those look great PJ!

What did you do different?

-J

thorhammer

pjstevko

Quote from: jurelometer on February 08, 2024, 07:56:52 AMThose look great PJ!

What did you do different?

-J

I used minimal flux, waited a few extra seconds for it to burn off completely and then added the silver just as the ends of the ring were turning red.....