How to Refurbish Vintage Rapala?

Started by nelz, January 16, 2024, 06:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

There sounds like some chicken-egg effect going on here.

Are they hot producers because they're chewed up, or are they chewed up because they've done a lot of producing?

Because it sounds like they had to already be productive to get chewed up to begin with.

Fun thread though.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 17, 2024, 08:06:46 PMThere sounds like some chicken-egg effect going on here.

Are they hot producers because they're chewed up, or are they chewed up because they've done a lot of producing?

Because it sounds like they had to already be productive to get chewed up to begin with.

Fun thread though.

I think our takeaway (at least in the my saltwater world) is that they are chewed up because they do a lot of producing; and they continue to produce because the lure finish is secondary to whatever it is in the action that makes them consistently get hit.  - john

jurelometer

Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 17, 2024, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 17, 2024, 08:06:46 PMThere sounds like some chicken-egg effect going on here.

Fun thread though.

I think our takeaway (at least in the my saltwater world) is that they are chewed up because they do a lot of producing; and they continue to produce because the lure finish is secondary to whatever it is in the action that makes them consistently get hit.  - john

If the paint job is gone, but the lure is still working about as well, it tells you that paint job was not the primary attractant.

In order for a fish to recognize a moving bait before a competitor sees it, seeing better means seeing less clearly, especially in a visually compromised environment like underwater.  Sensitivity vs. acuity.  More of one means less of the other.  Too much acuity and you miss too much food, or at least are the last to see it.  Most fish don't have as much visual acuity as we give them credit for. 

When it comes to paint jobs and getting bit, light vs dark matters, highly reflective matters, the overall profile matters. Glow might matter.    A "lifelike" scale pattern and Japanese anime eye decals are just for catching fishermen -IMHO...

And I encourage folk to join the Zoom.  We could use some fresh blood. They know all of my jokes by now :)

-J

Crab Pot

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 16, 2024, 11:25:32 PMI'd stay away from Spar varnish or Helmsman urethane

Hum, I have used Man O War on most of my boats without issue.

Mainly Mahogony.

Least I never noticed an yellowing, but I did keep them covered and out of the sun.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

nelz

Wow, this really got taken al over! I just wanted to add a quick little dab of something on some spots where the clear coat has started to separate so it wouldn't get worse.

The lure still looks good so the ratty lookin' theory doesn't apply.

I can't see investing a bunch of $ on something that can get bit off in an instant, or end up irretrievably snagged.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions guys.

JasonGotaProblem

Sorry, I think I did that. But I'll rescue the thread.

Mail it to me. I'll put a dab of flex coat on it and send it back. Or coat it. Whatever you prefer. It would take like 1ml of each part to cover the whole thing.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

DougK

I've used plain old nail varnish just to touch up the bare spots, didn't affect action or catching that I could tell.
That was on my first Rapala, the 2" gold floating balsa model. It caught me so many fish..

Still have it, the lip broke off and repaired that once, the second time it broke off I have not yet repaired..

Here's a trout fly at the end of a good day, it was still catching fish..

nelz

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 18, 2024, 06:25:54 AMSorry, I think I did that. But I'll rescue the thread.   Mail it to me. I'll put a dab of flex coat on it and send it back...

Hey folksies', just got back from a vacation, been off line for a while...

Jason, thanks for the offer, but think I'm just gonna try DougK's idea, a little nail varnish (when the wife's not lookin', lol). No biggie over the thread tangents, learned a few things from it.  :fish

nelz

Quote from: DougK on January 25, 2024, 05:38:59 PMI've used plain old nail varnish just to touch up the bare spots, didn't affect action or catching that I could tell.
That was on my first Rapala, the 2" gold floating balsa model. It caught me so many fish..
Still have it, the lip broke off and repaired that once, the second time it broke off I have not yet repaired.

So I'm guessing the nail varnish stands up to the water dunking then? Gonna be raiding the wife's beauty supplies...  >:D

So I too have another one that I broke the lip off of when yanking it off some lily pads. Gonna have to look for an old plug to get a lip from...
Those little Rapala's are awesome!  :fish

jurelometer

Quote from: DougK on January 25, 2024, 05:38:59 PMI've used plain old nail varnish just to touch up the bare spots, didn't affect action or catching that I could tell.

Still have it, the lip broke off and repaired that once, the second time it broke off I have not yet repaired..

Here's a trout fly at the end of a good day, it was still catching fish..

Was reading an actual (tm)  scientific paper, and apparently, rainbow trout pupil size is on the large side to optimize crespular (dawn /dusk) vision at the expense of acuity.  Put on some trout goggles and that chewed up nymph fly would look very much like a tasty bug.  Size, basic shape, light vs dark, drift  - is the stuff that matters.  And also the stuff that the better trout fishermen (of which I am not) seem to pay more attention to.

Other trout species are similar, but with some variation. For example, brown trout vision  is more tuned toward darkness.  And it changes with age as well. Young rainbows have UV receptors, but UV vision is gone by adulthood.

Haven't seen a paper on snook, but expect that there is even more optimization for low light, and even less acuity.  By looking at the lateral line, I would expect that the  wiggle in the rapala probably is where the magic comes from.   

If I find a paywall-free instance of the trout paper, I will post it.

-J

DougK

Quote from: nelz on February 02, 2024, 09:38:43 PMSo I too have another one that I broke the lip off of when yanking it off some lily pads. Gonna have to look for an old plug to get a lip from...

new lips can be found at Jann's Netcraft, I like the smallest rounded circuit board version for the small Rapalas.

My original lip repair was cut out of the hard plastic of a music cassette tape box.. worked great ;-)

Gfish

I still have cassette tapes and as of the last 5 years, have nothing that'll play 'em!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz