How to Refurbish Vintage Rapala?

Started by nelz, January 16, 2024, 06:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

What's good to use to clear coat a tiny vintage Rapala plug? It's going to be used not a shelf queen.  ;D
The original coating has started to peel off from all the fish it's caught. It's a very lucky lure!  :fish

JasonGotaProblem

I used rod building epoxy (flex coat lite) on one i found in the surf. I was quite happy with the results. The modern version doesn't yellow.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

If it's catching fish leave it alone! You could ruin its mojo
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Thanks Jason, but is there something more economical, as this will require just a tiny amount for this little lure? Preferably pre-mixed. Ya think maybe clear nail polish would do it?

Hey Swami, never 'taut o' dat, lol.

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on January 16, 2024, 06:34:22 PMIf it's catching fish leave it alone! You could ruin its mojo

Actually, I want to protect the lure from water damage, I think these old Rapalas are wood.

Here it is after some action ;D

jurelometer

I have fished larger wood Rapalas the have had chunks of the coating chewed and ripped off by wahoo and other toothy critters.  I just let it air dry before putting away, and the bare wood was fine.

If it is a small lure, you do not want to encase it in anything thick and heavy that might affect the action. 

I would just fish it until it falls apart.  Fish seem to like those chewed up lures. 

If I felt compelled to coat it, maybe something like a clear acrylic spray with nasty solvents like Krylon clear would be my guess. I use Krylon to clear coat lure decals that come out of an inkjet printer, and the ink does not smear.  But you never know, it could make the peeling worse.

-J

nelz

Thanks Jurelometer. These old ones are a bit different though. Instead of paint, they have a layer of thin foil with scale imprint and gold color, it appears to be pressed onto the body. The clear coating keeps it all from unraveling I suppose.

Btw, nice bite marks on that lure!  :fish

Crab Pot

Here's what I'd use on a all wood lure.

McCloskey Man O' War Semi-Gloss Clear Marine Spar

Google it.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Midway Tommy

I'd stay away from Spar varnish or Helmsman urethane unless you don't mind the yellowing effect later. Minwax clear polycrylic or Rustoleum Clear coat should do a good job. I use both a lot with great results.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wolfram M

Get on Amazon, and get some "Hard UV Clear Nail Polish"

Paint it on with an acid brush inside, away from windows, then keep it rolling by the hook eyes while you walk outside in full sun. Keep it rolling for three to five minutes in full sun, then you can hang it outside in full sun for an hour or so. Before you hang it up, do a quick check to be sure the surface layer has set, but after that surface layer has set it won't sag.

Crystal clear, fast setting, UV cured epoxy. You could use a strong UV flashlight too, but it's pretty specific on the wavelength. I just use the sun.

Swami805

I was semi serious, once in awhile you get a trolling lure that consistently stops the boat. You can have a handful of the same lure but one is a little beat up or something and it just works better
I fished with a guy who would hang out around the landing for a few days before his annual long range trip and wait for the other boats to come in. He'd ask guys what the hot lure was for wahoo and buy them off the guys, the ones that were all chewed up. Those big yozuri bonitas , they all looked the same, same color, size, everything but some had a tiny difference that fish bit better. Take it for what it's worth, a half baked theory total BS
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

UV resins tend to be too hard and will crack under load, taking the paint job with them.  I use the stuff to finish  poppers and it is plenty tough, but only if the paint job  has a strong bond to the lure

If you go that route, TotalBoat is the UV product that I like best for quality vs. price. They even have a deal that includes a UV flashlight on the big e-commerce site.

But all these products (and thick varnishes) are probably too thick for a mini Rapala.  It will affect the action, mostl  notably by raising the center of mass.

There are thin UV formulations (I like SolarEZ thin), but these are still on the thick side and are also expensive.

I am still in the fish it until it falls apart camp.  The fish can't even see the finish that well.  All that decoration is mostly for catching fishermen.

-J

Cuttyhunker

Pop ran a charter boat for stripers out of Cuttyhunk for 20 years, early 60's to 80's, and he loved his Giant Pikies, the worse they looked the better they fished as they were his sweethearts, he hated to even replace hooks, but when he did they were exact matches.  Had cartons of plugs to sort through after he passed, sold off the pretty ones, the uglies are still putting fish in the box. Don't mess with the mojo, if the fish like em, they look "good enough".
Doomed from childhood

Brewcrafter

On a recent Saturday Zoom many of us were showing off lures (surface and yo=yo irons) and many looked like they had been hit with a blast of shot that the paint finishes were so bad.  Those were invariable the hot "producers".  - john

MarkT

Quote from: Swami805 on January 17, 2024, 04:54:51 AMI was semi serious, once in awhile you get a trolling lure that consistently stops the boat. You can have a handful of the same lure but one is a little beat up or something and it just works better
I fished with a guy who would hang out around the landing for a few days before his annual long range trip and wait for the other boats to come in. He'd ask guys what the hot lure was for wahoo and buy them off the guys, the ones that were all chewed up. Those big yozuri bonitas , they all looked the same, same color, size, everything but some had a tiny difference that fish bit better. Take it for what it's worth, a half baked theory total BS

What's the best lure to use? The one that has all the paint chewed off. The paint job is for your benefit. The fish care about the motion in the ocean!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!