Penn Rod & Reel Cleaner

Started by Crab Pot, January 19, 2024, 01:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

I bought this just to see how it works, and it works great, but it seems to me it's just Orange Oil.

Least that's what it smells and feels like.

Can anyone confirm that's what it is?

Because if it's Orange Oil I can get it a whole lot cheaper at the store!

Thanks,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

sandbar

I agree. It definitely has orange oil in it.
I doubt that is the only ingredient.
The orange peel extract that is probably made from is a very strong chemical. I think it is called DiLimonene or Limonene. Full strength it is pretty powerful.
It works great for me and the spray bottle lasts a really long time.
Maybe look for a MSDS on it ?
-Steve
There is also a citrus oil paint remover called Citrastrip

1badf350

I've used it before. It's very greasy. Kinda like tire shine. I'm not convinced it cleans much but it sure shines the hell out of a rod
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

jurelometer

Does it say "X1-R" anywhere on the bottle?

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 20, 2024, 12:53:44 AMI've used it before. It's very greasy. Kinda like tire shine. I'm not convinced it cleans much but it sure shines the hell out of a rod

67% white mineral oil....
Looks like it is in the same rough category as Corrosion-x )-  A combo cleaner- degreaser- corrosion inhibitor- pre-lubricant.

Developed and manufactured by X1-R company-  A blurb from their web site tps://x1rcorp.com/about/:

In 1996, Sun Coast (X-1R Corporation) determined there was a market for environmentally safe, high performance lubricants for industrial applications. Through further research, X-1R developed the base formulation found in the X-1R Crawler Track product, leading to three new products: Train Track Lubricant, utilized by the Florida Power Corporation Railroad system to solve a wear problem; Penetrating Spray Lube used for rust prevention, loosening corroded nuts, etc. and Biodegradable Hydraulic Fluid used in various hydraulic brake applications. Success with these products led to the development of X-1R Super Gun Cleaner and Lubricant, which impregnates the metal in a gun barrel and other components to protect it against galling. Another offspring of this technology led to the development of a lubricant designed for fishing reels.

Found a 2023 SDS for the Penn product that shows X1-R as the manufacturer: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/27390300/msds-penn-rod-reel-cleaner-jamestown-distributors

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the other Penn branded oils/lubricants came from X1-R

Nothing wrong with a thin film corrosion inhibitor if you are looking for corrosion protection.  I like to use a bit in the "rust zone"  where the guides join the blank on rods that are used in salt.

I would probably want to keep it away from any lubricants that I use inside the reel. 

Might be most useful on metal surfaces. For carbon fiber rods, something with strong UV inhibitors will provide the best protection -UV kills epoxy -if I care enough, I use a wax.  For removing salt from rods and reels- the best solvent is warm fresh water.

-J

Crab Pot

Doesn't list the contents at all.

But the it's has the good ole State of Kalifornia Prop 65 cancer warning!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

gstours

For 1 pennies worth.     This product does seem to clean and leave a film on rods, n reels.  Easy spray bottle adds convenience.   Citrus smell is pleasant if you like it,
  Could be go to product if you're getting ready to sell something?  Leaves kinda a new look to most surfaces,  as said like on used tires on a used vehicle.
   Time will tell.   

Steve V.

I've used it on reels that I bought used that had oxidized parts (plastic and graphite) and it makes them look good again.