113H Gears Mystery

Started by Dragalioun, January 20, 2024, 05:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragalioun

Morning folks, I've been trampled with school and life for a good few months so I've been out of the game until recently.

I've been messing around with a 113H I picked up about a year back and I've been perpelxed by the gears it has. It originally came with these gears I assumed were just the older stock penn steel gears (which was very rusty originally so I ended up swapping them out with the bronze/SS gears from a parts 113H). On second look though, I'm not sure what they came from. The main gear has 50 teeth and the pinion has only 12 making a 4.1:1 ratio, not what the stock penn steelies were from my research. Yet, they dont look like any stainless gears I've found (especially the pinion; the main gear does look somewhat similar to the newell 4:1 gears). Do you folk have any idea what they could be??
20240120_115055.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_120157_Gallery.jpg

20240120_115108.jpg

Wilmar

I'm not going to be of help but I love these kinds of questions.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Surfrat

Could be the Newell speed upgrade gears or the Accurate gears.

Gfish

I have a modded 113H and it's got 4.1:1 ratio. The gears are Pro Challenger HX. Check in the "For Sale" section here.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dragalioun

Quote from: Gfish on January 21, 2024, 02:50:12 AMI have a modded 113H and it's got 4.1:1 ratio. The gears are Pro Challenger HX. Check in the "For Sale" section here.

Ooo that looks like a winner for sure, thank you all for your help. As long as they're stainless steel I'm more than satisfied, just one step closer to making a 113H tank of my own

Keta

I have never seen pitted Pro Chalenger gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rocket Dog

i have some old newell gears that looked like that when i got them. noisy aswell

Hardy Boy

I dont mind the noise knowing that I have steel.

Todd
Todd

alantani

judging by the angle of the gear teeth, i would guess that they are newell gears.  the accurate gear teeth had more of a slant. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Those are Newell's stainless steel 4:1 gears for the Penn 113H.  Newell's tend to have a little rust since they are heat treated burning off some of the protective nickel that makes up the chemistry for stainless steel.  Also, judging from the gear cuts, those are also Newell.  Accurate and ProChallenger do not have a straight cut in the gears like your's does.  These are strong gears but a little noisy in general.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Don't forget that ebay had some Chinese gears made in a lesser stainless. Not necessarily bad but different.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

PacRat

I'm in the Newell camp here. Great score!

Bryan Young

Newell 4:1 stainless steel gears
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Accurate 4:1 stainless steel gears