ISE Show Sacramento

Started by Crab Pot, January 22, 2024, 12:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Well I hate to start off negative but this show isn't what it use to be Pre-COVID.

I thought it was small last year but there were event areas that were corridored off, none of the upper levels were in use, and the large tent building was closed as well.

$10 to park, $16 to enter, and $11 for a domestic beer.

I was supposed to meet Alan, Waynne, and Juan of Friday, which I had off but got called into work and couldn't go. Turns out Alan was sick and Juan had a sick family member. Waynne asked to meet me on Saturday but I was Vol-Un-Told "we have other plans Saturday "By She Who Will Be Obeyed".

So I went solo today.

However, I would have paid the cost of admission for the Steve Carson, of Penn, seminar on Nor Cal Bluefin fishing. I learned a lot and talked with Mr. Carson afterwards to pick his brain on tuna fishing for as long as he was willing to talk to me.

The main thing I took from his seminar is the Bluefin are always north of San Francisco year round, we just didn't know how to use our electronics to locate them and even if you do find them they are a tuff fish to catch but the reward is normally a 80#-200# fish. The smaller grade BF head south because they can't take the cold.

Climate chance was brought up by someone in the seats but Mr. Carson was quick to point out that BF bones have been discovered in Indian Trash/Burial Mounds as far north as Washington State which are 100's of years old or older. How they caught BF he didn't know but they have been confirmed as BF.

He went over So Cal and Nor Cal tackle, presentation for up here, and even had a monthly diagram of where BF are in the Pacific between Japan and the US West Coast.

One thing I took away from the seminar for local Nor Cal fishing was if your fishing less than 100# gear your odds of landing decrease, and when BF are up here they are extremely boat shy and set backs when trolling of 100+ yards are the norm.

Obviously Mr. Carson works for Penn and the hand outs he passed out were nothing but Penn products but I'm sure you'll be able to transfer the information over to other brands.

My favorite "fish artist", Amadeo Bachar was there as well. First time in years I didn't get a print but I did buy one of his hats.

Mr. Carson said there are limited spots left on the Penn University 8 day trips this year on the Shogun out of San Diego.

Steve

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

alantani

yeah, i missed last year because of a fishing trip.  i was feeling better last night and was thinking about trying to sneak up to the show today, but this morning my body and my wife both said no.  i still want to go the to bart hall show.  at the rate i'm going, i'm going to miss that one as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!